Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2010, 02:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 506

wet mildew type smell in basement room

Well I dont know what it causing this maybe you can help me figure it out..... I have a 2,000 sq ft basement, all finished except one part of it (the furnance room)..... well it says about the same relative humidity throughout the whole thing... about 55% this time of year and nice and cool... current temp is 68 degrees and stays around that temp year round... it has full HVAC work in it with returns and all... except one room that has a smell to it...... the bathroom... if you close the door for a while (About a day) then go in it smells wet and mildew like... I see no signs of water anywhere if you run the bathroom air vent it clears the smell out for a few hours then it starts to come back...... what could be wrong here? the room has two drains coming from the concrete slab floor..... one for the sink and one for the toilet.... the toilet has a caulk seal around its base too which is in tact... could it be comeing out of the sink somehow? I think the cinder block walls are relatively dry behind the drywall from what I can tell (its jus furred out and the ceiling is drop tile so I can move it to have a small peak back there... only one side is the exterior wall... the other three sides of the room are interior.... I'm just stumped on what to do... or even start to look...... any ideas? thanks

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,250

Backside of the gypsum board is wet, but you do not see it. I would be sure that if you did not finish the basement, but someone else did, I am sure that there where plenty of corners cut.

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

If it has a shower drain or floor drain, plug that up, along with the sink drain, and close the door and see if the smell builds up. If not, then you've narrowed it down
Troglodyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Backside of the gypsum board is wet, but you do not see it. I would be sure that if you did not finish the basement, but someone else did, I am sure that there where plenty of corners cut.
corners cut? Oh you mean like the lack of any insulation in the basment?..... all they did was put 1x4 furring stripps screwed right into the cinder block then put drywall over it... if it was me I'd have a min 3/4" XPS foam board glued to the cinder block and Tyvek taped together for a vapor barrier... 2x4 stick wall infront of that with R-13 insulation filling it... but nope the builders took the easy way out......
Old 06-24-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,250

There would be your problem, along with the fact, that Mildew resistant Gypsum was not used, along with Pressure Treated not used on the walls. I would rip it all out, and let the basement dry out, then do it correct.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:48 AM   #6

well found the problem, fixed it and hopefully its corrected now..... yep there was mold ugh