Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Wet floors in house being built....

Hi, looking for some professional, impartial thoughts. We are building a new house in NC. The walls, windows and roof sheathing was finished ( not shingled) when there was a bad rainstorm. The floors were wet. We figured they would let them dry out before drywalling. Went to Aruba for a week, came back, roof was shingled and drywall had been done, but the floor was still wet (puddled on subfloor). Won't this cause mold in the walls??? And couldn't it damage the subfloor? Very concerned and am afraid we will be told "oh it'll be fine..." Thoughts?

cc0353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 12

perhaps not impartial but life's lesson rarely are,,, roof sheathing w/o ANY protection ? no roofing paper ? drywall shouldn't touch flooring - think its 1/2" clearance... why wasn't standing water vac'd up ? windows in ? doors in ? house dried in ? if these were ignored, i'd look @ the builder closer.

you're correct - there could already be mold & the sub-floor might be irreparably damaged.

HE may have been down in the islands, too just my opinion but i've found, over the years, NO ONE cares about MY $$$ as much as me neither subcontractors nor owners,,, then again, never went on holiday when my $$ were @ immediate risk isn't aruba where the american girl was murdered & the local police weren't too cooperative ? spent $0.00 when our ship stopped in port.

maybe its just me - work 1st, play later

Last edited by stadry; 11-17-2013 at 01:26 PM.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc
roof sheathing w/o ANY protection ? not even roofing paper ? drywall shouldn't touch flooring - think its 1/2" clearance... why wasn't standing water vac'd up ? windows in ? doors in ? house dried in ? if these were ignored, i'd look @ the builder closer. you're correct - there could already be mold & the sub-floor might be irreparably damaged. HE may have been down in the islands, too just my opinion but i've found, over the years, NO ONE cares about MY $$$ as much as me neither subcontractors nor owners,,, then again, never went on holiday when my $$ were @ immediate risk isn't aruba where the american girl was murdered & the local police weren't too cooperative ? spent $0.00 when our ship stopped in port. maybe its just me - work 1st, play later
Well....got married while i was down there so I think the trip was kinda worth it. Not sure if therer was paper on the roof (i am in NY, hubby is in NC), I was most concerned about the standing water...supposed to be a reputable builder that has been around for 70+ yrs. my husband has literally been stopping in every few days to ck, except for last week. He will meet with builder tmrw- anxious to hear what they have to say! Thx for the response.
cc0353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #4

Might not be a problem, depending on what the subfloor is. In my log house, it is a product called Advantech, which has a 50-year water damage warranty. Since we built the house by ourselves, there was an overly long time before it was dried in. The subfloor accumulated standing water several times without damage. But I always swept it out as soon as I could. I don't understand why your builder didn't do that.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote