Wet Clay Block Basement - Improve Appearance - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2011, 11:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wet Clay Block Basement - improve appearance

I have a 1922 house with clay block foundation. The floor gets wet from time to time and one wall seems to have water seepage issues and the paint is peeling and lots of efflorescnce. I have done some research and found there is really no way to stop the wetness without spending LOTS of money.

I don't really plan to finish the basement, but just want to make some of the rooms more pleasant. My laundry room is in the basement and this room in particular was the worst problems with peeling paint and what looks like mold - please confirm.

What can I do to tackle these ugly walls? - to bad they were painted in the first place!

1. Can I scape of the bad paint and apply something better than dry-lock that will hold up a little better?
2. Is it possible to get all the paint off and go back to the red blocks?
3. Is there something I can cover the walls with or some basement panels I could put up without making a big mold problem? Perhaps something like this? Brightwall - .

It would be nice to get a little insulation down there too, but this doesn't have to happen.

Some pictures of the area -

Advertisement

Last edited by helgymatt; 02-21-2011 at 12:37 AM.
helgymatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

The brightwall product would be a good suggestion for you. You would also need the WaterGuard system as well to complete the process of drying out your basement.

Advertisement

MBatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:52 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

One thing that really puzzles me - in the photo of the underneath of the sink - the wall to the right is an interior wall. Why so much water troubles there? I suppose water is traveling from the exterior wall and ending up there.
helgymatt is offline   Reply With Quote