Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2009, 07:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,216

Wet bsmt futile repairs

there'S ALWAYS ONGOING discussion about how to ' repair/dry wet bsmts,,, 1sy, let me say there's NOTHING 1 can do to stop leaks UNLESS you're willing & able to invest substantial gobs of $$$ into resolving the problem,,, willing to give odds you'll not recoup the expenditure when selling, either,,, get used to it - the house was blt incorrectly, those guys got pd, & they're gone - EVEN IF IT WERE BLT TO CODE ! ! !

IF interior coatings were silver bullets, we'd all ' feel ' better BUT that only means you can't SEE the leaks - it doesn't mean wtr's still not entering the walls/floors to the depth of wall thickness,,, in that hidden space, soil acids still attack the lime contain'd in cement - a main ingredient of masonary units & concrete,,, this eventually rots block & degrades conc ( altho at a much slower rate due to the denseness of conc compar'd to block )

impo, concrete's much easier to repair while blocks're extremely difficult,,, the best choice is, often, to ' manage ' leaks & not delude ourselves into believing the problem's resolved permanently,,, think of your bsmt as a ship's hull underwater & most ships have bilge pumps, remember ? ? ?

new homes have the best chance of being dry but, for most of us, its too late - we must manage & not fix - even in my house w/its block fnd

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:10 AM   #2

Wet bsmt futile repairs

sall that being said, 1st be sure your very fine home's got positive drainage incl leader drains on downspouts,,, might not resolve the issue but, at minimum, will not exacerbate either.

here on hilton head is, sc, few homes have gutters, etc, due to the massive amt of pine needles which clog them

Old 08-08-2009, 06:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Wet bsmt futile repairs

Getting the water away from the foundation is the only relaible thing that works. There are screens and gutter guard systems that will work, even for pine needles. 90% of basement water problems can be eliminated or greatly reduced by having gutters/downspouts that get water away from the foundation and grading that does the same thing. The only other way is to completely rebuild the foundation permiter drain system, quite pricey.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:59 AM   #4

Wet bsmt futile repairs

to an extent you're right but its not ' the ' silver bullet solution,,, leaking water, taking the path of least resistance, has already formed its underground pathways/rivulets/streambeds following its other rule - water runs downhill.

agreed gutters can help &, in most circumstances, are nec,,, but 90% ?. no - impo.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Wet bsmt futile repairs

The guy at askthebuilder.com talks about putting a linear french drain 4 to 6 feet out from the foundation wall and he says you only need to make the linear french drain 2 feet deep.

I had someone put in a linear french drain more or less the way the askthebuilder.com guy describes, and knock-on-wood it kind of seems to work. My house has a crawlspace. The linear french drain was installed in the grass area kind of halfway between my house and the neighbors house. And my drain is only one foot deep instead of two.

At askthebuilder.com his articles about this topic are at outdoor -> drainage, I think. He has a bunch of articles about this that more or less say the same thing but each one has a little nugget of new information, so you kind of have to read all of the ones on this topic.

I like his ideas because he says you only have to dig down 2 feet, which is much more do-able than digging all the way to the bottom of your foundation, and I also like his ideas because he says you can put the drain 4 to 6 feet out from the foundation wall instead of right up flush against it.

Also I have no relation to askthebuilder.com, it's just a website I have read parts of.

Nashville, TN
joshoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:32 AM   #6

Wet bsmt futile repairs

its always easier to stop wtr rather'n repair damage,,, actually that's a trench drain but who really cares if it works french drains were 1st found at foundainbleu, fr, when the paving stones in the courtyard were laid at different angles thereby trapping & redirecting rainwtr to under the hall of mirrors & down to the tulleries, the palace's gardens & reflecting ponds - hence ' french drain ',,, landscapers call 'em ' swales ' - roadbldrs, drainage ditch's thankfully, they all serve the same purpose - allow wtr to run downhill.

mention's often been made of the waterproofing coating codes require,,, the spec still says ' 3 mils ' thick to my knowledge & bldrs often buy asphalt emulsion at the apron store,,, trouble is its not elastomeric NOR is there a protection course so it does crk or become damag'd during backfill.

askthebuilder.com's got a good idea - thanks
Old 08-09-2009, 06:44 AM   #7
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

Wet bsmt futile repairs

As noted above, the first step is to control water runoff, for some examples see:

"Wet Basements -some causes of basemet and crawl space water leaks - Paragon Home Inspections Chicago/Wilmette/Shokie"
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:33 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

Wet bsmt futile repairs

My present home had water probs in the concrete block foundation when I purchased it.
I assumed that i would have to redo the outside of the foundation. It was no surprise!
The roof was old and leaky and when I had it replaced, the water problems ended!
Somehow water was coming down from the roof, running inside the walls and into the block cavities.
Then it leaked out at the bottom and ran all over the basement floor.
Fortunately, there was no insulation in the stad cavities, so no mold developed. (I've since had cellulose insulation blown into the walls)
I mention this, as I never heard of anybody else encountering this situation.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:51 PM   #9
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

Wet bsmt futile repairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
The roof was old and leaky and when I had it replaced, the water problems ended!.
That's pretty common, actually, "traveling leaks" are a staple of "water intrusion" end of my business.

Saw one a while back where the channel at the head of a storm door had become bent at one end. Water ran down the inside of the storm door, though the door sill, along the top a the foundation wall for about 10', turned into the basement, and then ran down the wall.

Once I had tracked it down I took a pair of pliers, bent the end of the channel about 3/32", and the "basement leak" went away.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:50 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,000

Wet bsmt futile repairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
That's pretty common, actually, "traveling leaks" are a staple of "water intrusion" end of my business.

Saw one a while back where the channel at the head of a storm door had become bent at one end. Water ran down the inside of the storm door, though the door sill, along the top a the foundation wall for about 10', turned into the basement, and then ran down the wall.

Once I had tracked it down I took a pair of pliers, bent the end of the channel about 3/32", and the "basement leak" went away.
Then laughed all the way to the bank!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #11
long island, NY

Rewards Points: 250

Wet bsmt futile repairs

we have serious basement leak issues... We had larger gutters put on (no improvement). We had a french drain put in from the window well (no improvement). We also had french drains put inside the basement (now at least the entire basement doesn't flood).

I think our water issue really stems from the soil grating of our back yard. The patio settled and now pitches towards the basement. as soon as we have saved enough $, we intend to rip up the patios and regrate the soil. I pray it doesn't cost 5 digits......
diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,000

Wet bsmt futile repairs

I regraded the side of the house
Put in extended downspouts w/splash blocks
Built a sunroom on the back patio, back patio had a slope of 2" TOWARDS the house
Built an addition on the side if the house
Gutter from the sunroom dump down to a drainage pipe that now runs 35' away from the house
Additon gutters dump down into the same drainage pipes - 1 in front of the additon, 1 in the back - both going West
Sump pump output goes into the same drain system
Front of the house I ran another drainage pipe from the front gutter out 20' from the house
We had the wettest Spring since we have lived here - 6 years - and the sump pump never went on
1st Spring ever that it has not run at least a couple days
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:17 AM   #13

Wet bsmt futile repairs

decent article impo - http://www.servicemagic.com/article....age.13702.html

bearing in mind we don't bld houses for bsmt living space, there are methods 1 can employ which'll keep it dry.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:10 PM   #14
long island, NY

Rewards Points: 250

Wet bsmt futile repairs

thanks for posting that.

budget permitting, next year we will demo the patio that is sloping towards the foundation and get the backyard regrated. Becuase of your post, I think I will also tack onto the "to do" list hiring someone to install new drains around the foundation. (Ultimately, a new paver patio will be installed, so regrating time will be the only chance to dig down there!)

Definitely NOT a DIY for us, though. I want BBB-approved pro's doing that. I've been told that our basement issue is very complex (possibly including an underground stream?!).
diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:19 PM   #15

Wet bsmt futile repairs

you just GOTTA read this - its the BEST i've even seen in language any dummy outta be able to understand

http://www.uniflip.com/catalogs2/115...pub/index.html