Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2008, 09:08 PM   #1
castroball5

Share |

well-house

im planning on building a well house, which i already have the slab poured for. could someone tell me tools and materials i would need for this

castroball5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:04 PM   #2

well-house

That question can not be answered in it's present form. Narrow the scope of your desired result.

Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:15 PM   #3

well-house

If one never built a Well House (or even a little shed) before, these are good questions...

For more info, surf:
http://www.howtodothings.com/home-an...se-design.html
http://www.macslab.com/WellHouse/WellHouse.html

For a few steps, I'd:
- Pick a size, roof design, door opening, windows, etc. design that I like the best. Being custom, you can design it anyway you want.
- Create Blue Prints. Anything from a diagram on a back of a Kleenex to someting on a computer program. Even MS Paint could be used. One needs "a visual on paper" to determine what is being built.
- From the Blue prints, build the needed Material list.
- From the Blue prints and material list, define needed fasteners (nails, steels hangers, screws, bolts, lag screws. etc. etc.).
- Add in your electrical needs. For example, power outlet for the well pump, light, switch, general outlet inside. How to get power from source and into this well house.
- With known materials and known fastners, define the needed tools. Probably a saw or two (re: chop saw, table saw, skill saw, recipicator saws), probably a screw driver or two (manual, cordless, 90 degree drill), level, measure tape, chalk line, etc. etc.

Or, do like me... Tell the spouse that one can use one existing tools. Part way into the project, explain that a special tool is needed. Another 10% into the project, explain that another special tool is needed. And in the end, you got the needed tools. Oh, and the upper and lower cabinet to store the tools in as well. A little over budget buy hey, I needed a business case to lobby for a new tool. Note: This approach doesn't work for all. So, do consult your home's banker before taking this "new tool buying" approach.

BTW: Don't forget a building permit. If cement slab (which is often considered a tax-able building), structure or electrical is involved, one will need a building permit. Call your local inspector to double check. In my area, a building permit is required for a little "well house". But if a small shed is on pillars with its own floor or sitting on patio stones (which is considered temp location), then a little shed is NOT tax-able. And, no building permit is required either. Something to ask in your area as well.

Hope this helps....

Last edited by Spike99; 01-08-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:20 PM   #4

well-house

castroball5,

Another approach is to visit many local Building Warehouse type stores. Or, look in your local newspaper Buy/Sell section. Ask if they sell any small sheds and if so, if they can show you pictures (and "foot print" dimensions) of them. If you like their small shed and if it fits on your current cement slab, simply buy their pre-built shed instead. Most places that sell small sheds also deliver them. My one small shed was delivered on the back of a large flat bed trailer. They simply jacked up each corner and pulled the trailer out from under it. My other shed was delivered in sections - in the back of a 1-ton flat bed. For this small shed, a crew of 2 people bolted it together within 30 minutes. For each shed, only thing I supplied was the flat patio stones - for it to sit on. And having its own floor (as in self contained temp structure), no building permit was required.

After buying a shed and they install it (with opening in its floor for your well lines and such), all you need to do is install its electrical. And if needed, install a few lag bolts from its studded walls into your existing cement slab. By using this approach, you get a small shed (well house) to your design and cosmetic liking. Clean, easy and simple. Especially if you don't have the time or engergy to build the small shed yourself.

Hope this "buy a small shed instead" idea helps as well...

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote