Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2009, 03:10 AM   #1

Share |
Talking

Well This is a framing Roofing question. HELP

I was asked by a friend to help with this roof project for a customer of his. When I got there he told me of his plan. I'am not a carpenter so bear with me here. Have pounded a few nails though. Ok well he want to repair a low pitch roof and I mean like one foot rise in twelve feet.It has very little over hang on the gable and soffit ends like 3 inch. So we started his plan we first took off the ridge cap this is a tin roof. Under the roof cap I noticed that the roof was repaired befor there were shingles under the tin and looks like 1x2 and straping and then the tin. Ok so after we took off the ridge cap he handed me up a 2x 12 and we fastened that to the center of the exsisting1x2s. so now we have a 2x12 ridge pole. Then on the bottom eve end, we lay a 2x6 flat on the edge of the roof (the lumber we have on site he ordered). Now the roof from ridge to eve end is 12 feet. So now he hands me up another 2x6 and he wants me to sit this on top of the ridge pole and figure his cuts, but the 2x6 is only 12 feet long so we come up short. So now he hands me up another 2x6 and has me lay that flat in front of the other one on the eve end. Ok so then he figures his cuts and I mark out 16 O.C and I start nailing these in place so now we are short on the eve end so he said we will add on?? He also told me we were going to be putting plywood down befor the tin. Iam a little concerned about the weight not just the Structure. Could I maybe talk him into just putting 2x4 straping instead of plywood down to limit some of the weight. I don't no like I said iam not a carpenter. Help

Last edited by xcaliber; 09-24-2009 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Need Help
xcaliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:55 AM   #2
General Contractor

Your friend is a licensed contractor and he has asked you a person with limited or no experience to help with a paying job? My advice to you is don't go back. I am willing to bet if you fall off that roof you will be on your own. If your friend does not know how to do the job he had no business bidding the job in the first place. Tell him to sub it out to someone qualified to do it or refund the "clients" money and let them find someone qualified to do this job. I see nothing good coming from this for you or the "customer".

ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:43 AM   #3

Arrow

i signed on to this site because i may need some guidance now and then. i built my own house and where I am from all that is needed is a building permit to do so. I am asking these questions and would like an opinion on the work being done. Maybe I signed on to the wrong site, as I thought this was a place to get help and for others to voice their opinion.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:50 PM   #4

"as I thought this was a place to get help and for others to voice their opinion." ----------are you working under him getting paid by the hour with your State's Worker's Comp. and Unemployment paid for? As well as your portion taken from your check? Or are you doing it illegally- cheating the State and the Federal Government punishable by monetary fines and possible jail time?
My opinion........

Be safe, Gary
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:06 PM   #5

Ok well I told you I was helping a friend whom is helping another friend if u must no. And now that I know how this sight is you wont see me here again. Ya carpenters RIGHT.
Bunch of girls as far as I can see.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:14 PM   #6

mics_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:25 PM   #7

Cool

DIY I thought this stood for DO IT YOURSELF
Old 09-24-2009, 08:13 PM   #8

Well anyway we got some of the sheathing on today and the job is looking good. Seems to be good and rugged every thing is straight and plywood is perfect. I think we will make it before winter sets in. I once had to go a whole winter with a tarp on my camp and had to walk a 1/4 mile through the snow just to push the snow off.Up HILL ALL THE WAY IN BOTH DIRECTIONS.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:24 PM   #9
General Contractor

Quote:
I was asked by a friend to help with this roof project for a customer of his.
Implies you are working for a contractor. My post was meant to be helpful to you by getting you out of a potentially bad situation. If you need help for your projects then by all means ask. If your contractor friend needs help with his projects then he needs to ask or preferably not get involved in projects he is not set up or qualified to undertake. As far as your helping him GBR captured my sentiments pretty acurately but I will elaborate a little more for you. If you are doing this under the table for your friend, which I suspect you are and hypothetically lets say you fall off the roof and break your back. Who is going to cover your medical expenses? Yes, you can sue after you recover but you still have to pay up front. Then even if you get a judgment there's no guarantee you would ever receive a dime. Thousands of dollars in medical bills for what? A couple hundred dollars pay in the name of helping a hack contractor avoid the costs of doing the job legitimately and passing on a portion of the risk to you. Yeah, this guy is none of the following to you or anybody else; good friend, good employer, good carpenter, good contractor.
ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter7789 View Post
Ok well I told you I was helping a friend whom is helping another friend if u must no. And now that I know how this sight is you wont see me here again. Ya carpenters RIGHT.
Bunch of girls as far as I can see.
Personal attacks will not be tolerated on this site

This site is for DIY, generally homeowners working on their own home
Not a contractor or someone hired by a contractor & being paid a fee
What you are being told was for your own safety

Quote:
asked by a friend to help with this roof project for a customer of his
Customer indicates a paying job

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote