Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2010, 02:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Welding an L-bracket to bottom flange of I-Beam

Because of the potential for seismic activity, I want to secure a wood beam post (consisting of three 2 x 12s) to the bottom flange of a W-14x61. The wood beam post supports one side of the beam (beam and post butt up against the interior basement wall which is wood framing). The other end of the I-beam is secured to the foundation of the house. I fabricated an L-bracket out of 1/4" mild steel with bolt holes toward the wood beam post. A welding friend of mine said that he would weld the 2 longitudinal interfaces between the L-bracket and the I-beam but would not weld the remaining interface across the flange because it would cause the weld to crack due to expansion/contraction. Is this advice sound? Any other advice would be appreciated for this application

ddpaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Rewards Points: 500

My advice to you is to get an engineer involved. So far nothing you've listed would fly as-is. Also, W14x61's are typically used as columns, not beams. As for the welds, I won't touch that one because I'm not the engineer of record. But my advice is to not do it, and get an engineer involved.

Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aggie67 For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (09-21-2010)
Old 09-22-2010, 09:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

I’m trying to picture this and it seems that you are trying to hold up one end of the beam with and angle bolted to a wooden column is that right?

If you are, then that’s not the proper way of handling the situation. What you have to do is get a structural engineer to draw up a shop drawing of your situation showing you the proper material, thicknesses and installation method.

What we have done in the past is:

1) Get approved shop drawings.
2) Dig for a concrete pad.
3) Used a 4’’ square column Ό’’ thick with a top plate of 10 ½’’ x 10 ½’’ x ½’’ thick with a bottom plate 12’’ x 12’’ x ½’’ thick with 4 holes to except ½’’ anchors.
4) Weld (2) straps with holes to except nails of flat material 2’’ x 1/8’’ x 16’’ long to column and then nail it to your existing framing.

epson is offline   Reply With Quote