Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #1

Share |

Welding advice ?? Any welders out there ?

As some of you may know from my other post, I have been battling a post in my basement. The proposed engineer approved solution is to support the existing beam by welding 2 pieces of channel steel along the length of the existing beam. So I have ordered 2 C9 X 13.4 pieces of channel.

The design calls for tack welds for every 12 inches.
The beam is an I beam which is 8 inches high.

My question is I have a welder, Lincoln Electric 20 amp 120 v unit and I'm prepared to do the welding myself. Would this welder be sufficient to do the job ?

Cheers

Dave

Dave Clee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:21 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

no. It will not be strong enough to melt the thickness of these beams.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:24 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Would this welder be sufficient to do the job ?
Ayuh,.. Welders are rated for output, rather than input,...
Your machine is probably a 100amp unit, possibly up to a 140amp unit...
The 140amp unit would be barely adequate,+ only with a very experienced operator...
I'd think you'll need a bigger 220V machine for realistic results...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:35 PM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

I have a little unit like yours. And it is barely adequate for 3/16" plate. I HAVE done 1/4", but I'm not too proud of the results.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:37 PM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

nor would they pass inspection. Even a 220V 50 amp mig welder can barely properly weld 1/4" steel.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
Household Handyman

Experience in welding speaking here: I'm with "Bondo", your machine's output will not be enough for the penetration you will need on this job. Also take into fact that you will be welding over head where you will need to melt the base metal enough to "draw in" the molten welding rod filler material. This is not a job you will, or should not have to, repeat. So, get the proper equipment and do this one job correctly the first time. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:44 PM   #7

Thanks for the input, currently rounding up a few local welders to quote on the job.

Cheers

Dave
Old 11-20-2009, 08:33 PM   #8

What size are your welds? The structural's will give you the particulars about the series of weld metal, as well as the size of your welds. It will be something like 5/16-2-12. What that means is a 5/16" thick fillet weld, two inches long 12" OC. Your weld metal will undoubtedly be 70 series, which has a strength of 70,000psi.

Your weldor should be familiar with the type of rod or wire. I would imagine he would use a big hot "dual shield" wire process, or more likely, 7018 stick weld. Small MIG or FCAW (inner shield) are not the correct application for this weld. A stick machine should have a duty cycle of almost 100% at about 100 A DC.

You should get a weldor who is correctly certified by your Province, the AWS, or the CWS (Canadian Welding Society, if there is one)

One more thing. Quit referring to your welds as "tack welds"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A tack weld is a temporary weld, meant to hold something in place until it can be permanently welded or bolted. Your channels are being flat out welded
Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:45 PM   #9

Well thanks for all the advice, it is appreciated...BUT...I gotta say that between this thread and the other thread your online approach stinks !!

My terminology is wrong, wow no surprise there...hence the reason I am on here asking questions.

Maybe in the real world you are a good person and mean well, but seriously some of your other posts are borderline rude !

Yeah your terminology might be up to par but you may seriously want to rethink how you address people online.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut View Post
What size are your welds? The structural's will give you the particulars about the series of weld metal, as well as the size of your welds. It will be something like 5/16-2-12. What that means is a 5/16" thick fillet weld, two inches long 12" OC. Your weld metal will undoubtedly be 70 series, which has a strength of 70,000psi.

Your weldor should be familiar with the type of rod or wire. I would imagine he would use a big hot "dual shield" wire process, or more likely, 7018 stick weld. Small MIG or FCAW (inner shield) are not the correct application for this weld. A stick machine should have a duty cycle of almost 100% at about 100 A DC.

You should get a weldor who is correctly certified by your Province, the AWS, or the CWS (Canadian Welding Society, if there is one)

One more thing. Quit referring to your welds as "tack welds"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A tack weld is a temporary weld, meant to hold something in place until it can be permanently welded or bolted. Your channels are being flat out welded
Old 11-20-2009, 09:21 PM   #10

Are you thin skinned or what? It was a joke, I have never been anything but helpful and straight forward to you.

I will admit to not suffering fools like Shelly well
Old 11-20-2009, 09:27 PM   #11
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut View Post

It's actually call "stitch welding".
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:21 PM   #12
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Why on earth would somebody need a welder with a 100% duty cycle to lay a handfull of stitches on a channel iron? Give me a cheap Lincoln 225 and 5 lbs of 7018 rods. This is a channel iron, not a battle cruiser. Me thinks somebody is just blowing smoke.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:50 AM   #13
Remodeling Contractor

The real issue is to address the OP.... His toy welder will only blow smoke on this task.... Not make a sufficient weld
Old 11-26-2009, 11:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
Why on earth would somebody need a welder with a 100% duty cycle to lay a handfull of stitches on a channel iron? Give me a cheap Lincoln 225 and 5 lbs of 7018 rods.
I have done nearly all my welding using big old Miller SR 300's and SRH 333 three phase machines. I am sure that a 225 would do fine, although it might be a little pushed. With a big machine, I would probably end up running about 90amps. Would a 225 be able to do these welds at the amperage? Regardless, a 225 is a very suitable machine. What is its DC duty cycle, and amperage?
Old 11-26-2009, 11:50 AM   #15
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Regardless, a 225 is a very suitable machine. What is its DC duty cycle, and amperage?
Ayuh,... If it's just the AC machine, it won't have a DC duty cycle...
Doing a bunch of inch long stitches will Never be a Duty Cycle issue anyways...

I've got a Lincoln AC/ DC buzzbox,... It'll weld 7018, 1/8" til 'ell freezes over without problems...
Max AC amperage is 225,... DC is around 150 or so, don't remember, but Way more than needed for 1/8" rod...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote