DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Weep slots between bricks

12K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  Big Bob 
#1 ·
I have a house with a brick facade on all 4 sides.

I want to improve drainage on one side of my house by raising the grade against my house.

I do see that there are weep slots for the brick that may prevent me from making the pitch of the slope higher. These slots are just vertical spaces between the bricks that don't have mortar.

Can I just fill these weep holes with spray foam, and then just use masonry bits to drill new weep holes a bit higher (6-8 inches)? I noticed that the weep holes that I want to fill in are lower than the ones on the same level along the house.

Is it just as simple as that?

#6 ·
As a rule, the flashing will only be 5-6" up the wall. I would not advise to proceed. The flashing is an issue, and putting dirt against the brick is another separate issue. Better to cut away from the wall rather than to fill against it.

#11 ·
I recently purchased a brick home and going into it I knew there was an issue. The lowest level of brick was spalled around the brick patio because whoever laid the patio butted the patio bricks up against the lowest level of brick veneer (nearly flush with the mortar between the 1st/2nd row). Needless to say now I have to redo the patio properly and seal the spalled bricks.

Anything touching brick veneer will cause it to hold moisture. If you're in an area that gets cold, the moisture will freeze in the brick and cause it to crack/spall. I don't recommend bringing your grade in contact with the brick veneer due to this reason, and the ones previously discussed.

#12 ·
I recently purchased a brick home and going into it I knew there was an issue. The lowest level of brick was spalled around the brick patio because whoever laid the patio butted the patio bricks up against the lowest level of brick veneer (nearly flush with the mortar between the 1st/2nd row). Needless to say now I have to redo the patio properly and seal the spalled bricks.

Anything touching brick veneer will cause it to hold moisture. If you're in an area that gets cold, the moisture will freeze in the brick and cause it to crack/spall. I don't recommend bringing your grade in contact with the brick veneer due to this reason, and the ones previously discussed.
Grading against brick veneer is very common. Sometimes, you either deal with a cracked brick, or drainage issues. Cracked bricks sound easier to deal with.

#20 · (Edited)
Yes, most people strive to do the best thing, but when you aren't building brand new, you're forced to do the best that you can with an existing house with existing conditions.

I'm sure people realize that as time evolves, technologies and "doing it right" evolves too. A house built 20-30 years ago was built with that 20-30 year old knowledge that may have evolved by now. Those lessons learned may be impossible to fix 100%.

Nobody's going to buy a house with 95% having been built that matches current codes/practices and then decide to tear the whole house down because that 5% that is difficult/impossible to change without tearing it down.

You have to work best with what you have within reason.

#23 ·
Yes, most people strive to do the best thing, but when you aren't building brand new, you're forced to do the best that you can with an existing house with existing conditions.

I'm sure people realize that as time evolves, technologies and "doing it right" evolves too. A house built 20-30 years ago was built with that 20-30 year old knowledge that may have evolved by now. Those lessons learned may be impossible to fix 100%.

Nobody's going to buy a house with 95% having been built that matches current codes/practices and then decide to tear the whole house down because that 5% that is difficult/impossible to change without tearing it down.

You have to work best with what you have within reason.
WELL STATED!!!

#24 ·
Glad to see everybody hug and make-up...

know that foamed in polyurethane won't fool the termites for long.. and ...and... How much do you want to trust the flashing ...I think you have a handle on the rest of the story.

at least consider: tuck pointing weep holes,, apply bonding agent... sealing brick area to be buried, adding french drains..,. perimeter re-treat for termites...etc.
maybe even a pvc pipe from air space to down your new grade slope
where you can attach shop vac or blower to help dry the area out when it gets wet as it probably will.

To me it would be more fun to rent a mini bob-cat for a day and grade a new slope.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.