DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Weatherproofing garage help

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  drtbk4ever 
#1 ·
Hello, I am new here and hope someone can help me to protect my garage from the stupid Canadian winter this year.

I have an attached garage with soffits and eves and every winter the snow blows up the garage door, in through the eves and soffit and into the garage. I want to seal the garage to keep the heat in. How do I go about sealing the space when the ceiling by the garage door is bare studs and the eves overhang the outside of the garage. I really don't want a freezing cold garage again this year since we have a new baby and the nursery is above the garage space (partially). I do not use the garage for a vehicle so I am not concerned with fumes getting into the house. Ultimately I want to convert it to a workout space. Any help would be appreciated.

I made a crude drawing to help explain the issue, as you can see the inside of the garage is half drywalled and finished but about 12' from the door is bare studs.
I'm pretty handy so I can probably manage most jobs I just don't really know where to start with this problem.

Also, here is a photo of the inside of the garage.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I cannot be the only one who has tried to do this am I. Or is it a case that the only way to do this is to tear out the soffit and seal it from underneath or some other radical major undertaking? I have read a lot about insulating various areas but i can't find the answer to this. Please, anyone?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.