Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
Experienced goon

Share |

Weak concrete floor not holding fasteners :furious:

I'm finishing my basement, and I've had some trouble getting either powder-actuated nailers or tapcons to hold against upward pressure. This hasn't been a problem while I was framing, as they hold laterally just fine. But now I'm putting in the floor, and this concrete is just killing me.

I have Platon (the black dimpled plastic) and then TNG OSB, and then the plan was to secure the OSB down with tapcons. But only about 1 in 5 tapcons seems to actually grab and suck the floor down, the others just zip in and then spin. The flooring doesn't move side to side, but it moves up and down as if it isn't fastened at all, and already squeaks.

How the heck should I fix this? Anyone have success with any other fastener type that can be installed from above (OSB already cut and layed in), and installs flush? Obviously I want to install finished flooring on top of this.

Worst case, any solutions that involve pulling up the OSB + the Platon, but don't involve re-pouring a floor? This is original to the house (1920's), no cracks to speak of, in good condition other than the fact I can't get anything to stick...

jpelzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:00 PM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

Are you using 1/4" Tapcons? If so, what length, and what's the thickness of the Platon & OSB combined? What size drill bit?

jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
Experienced goon

Platon is 1/4", OSB is 23/32", so just under 1" total thickness, using 2 1/4" tapcons (3/16") and the included bit to drill them. Regular old Bosch hammer drill.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

The first thing I would suggest is tossing the bit you have in the garbage. It's only going to save on future head-aches by doing it now. Go out & purchase yourself a decent 5/32" SDS drive bit, which will chuck directly into your 1/2" drill (assuming it's 1/2"?) with a little trial & error. You should probably try drilling a little deeper also, and get as much dust out of the hole as possible with the bit. The 3/16" Tapcons are fairly light-duty as well, so you need to be careful you don't strip them out, as a decent 1/2" drill will do just that if you aren't careful. Personally, I'd use the 1/4" Tapcons, if for no other reason, the drill bit will last far longer.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:24 PM   #5
Experienced goon

Jomama, your question got me to pull out the wrap on the platon trying to find a thickness spec (which wasn't actually listed), but it also suggested sticking plumbers solder in a hole prior to using a masonry nail... I don't actually want to nail, so I said, "maybe that'll work with tapcons too!"

And it appears to! I backed out a few tapcons, stuck in the solder, screwed them back down and they countersunk themselves. Hopefully this is a permanent hack.

So thanks for putting me on the right trail! Cheers!
The Following User Says Thank You to jpelzer For This Useful Post:
jomama45 (09-19-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 11:21 PM   #6

Are you afraid of moisture with using OSB that could wick up? If not I would use some sub floor adheisive along with pins.just a thought.Ken.

We all no alot but can only do a little-------an
kchunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:03 AM   #7
Experienced goon

Yeah, didn't want to directly attach the OSB, which is why I put down Platon first. That's that dimpled black plastic that you see on the outside of foundations to keep them dry. Puts about a quarter inch airspace under the floor. Otherwise I would have glued the $&@$& out of this.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:20 AM   #8
Experienced goon

Here's a shot of the floor and a roll of the Platon.

Name:  image-4213538321.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  56.9 KB