Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2011, 01:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

waterproofing polymetric sand?

we installed a flagstone stoop, bonded together with Gator Dust. i have been reading & also hear that over time water will break down the hardened material. can/should i seal the joints with a waterproofer of some kind? i am thinking a liquid polymer that can be applied post-install to give extra protection. sort of a belt &suspenders issue but this is main entrance to our house and i want it to last and be safe from crumbling.
thoughts?

magooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,124

Generally you want water that collects on top of a flagstone patio to seep into the ground through the joints. That is why you normally install pavers or flagstone over a bed of sand. I am unclear why you want to seal the joints between the pavers, assuming you are successful the only place for rainwater to go would be off to the side of the pavers, which might work if the pavers are sloped away from the house. Even with slope, some water will remain on top of the pavers and above the grout, and if you live in a cold climate you will get all sorts of freeze/that problems.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

David- Thank You for the quick reply. this is a raised stoop beside the driveway. being not sure about the long term effect of water on polymetric sand (Gator Dust), is why i was asking about additional sealing. any water that does not run off onto the driveway will dry OK + we live in SC so freezing is an occasional hazard at best. being something of a 'grunting man' albeit ignorant (redundant, no?) i would like portland cement between the stones for stoutness but the vitrues and aestetics of Gator Dust won out.
question: if these sands set up hard, how do they perk water? do they break down from repeated soaking? we get about 40" of rain here in a normal year.
all the Best-
magooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,124

Since it is just a patio, polymeric sand, by any name, would be O.K. Since it is a stoop and flagstone it should be O.K.

I have never seen polymeric used on a serious paving project where the loads are greater and durability is a criteria, For you application it should be O.K. A 1" sand setting bed over a compacted base material is adequate.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote