Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2011, 03:35 PM   #1

Share |

Waterproofing Door Threshold - interior same elevation as exterior.

Got another little project I'm working on - waterproofing our patio door. We're renovating our den and want to get this taken care of quickly. Our home is circa 1960's so it's certainly dated.

The biggest issue is the threshold / sill and it certainly needs replaced. I'm just curious what my options are. There's a great photo below that shows what I'm dealing with better than I can put into words.

The concrete outside this door is a patio and it is covered but in the torrential Virginia rains it does take a tremendous beating. As the water rises and the patio drain can't keep up the water will come under the door flooding the room. We're installing channel drains to fix the bigger issue (water on the patio) but if the door were water tight in the first place we wouldn't have to deal with it.

I removed the existing threshold - which was a flimsy metallic one. This is what I'm left with. I'm a fairly capable DIYer but waterproofing and doors are not areas I have tremendous experience with.

Good, sound advice in an easy to understand fashion would be great! I'm not afraid to call in help if this is something I can't tackle on my own.

Last edited by JustADoc; 07-30-2011 at 03:42 PM.
JustADoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:20 PM   #2

Remove that layer of concrete spilling out from the tackless.
Set a door seal product down on your base. It should wrap the door threshold and be set in a silicone caulk. It goes under the sill and up the sides of the RO 6". It should have a 90 degree lip on the back near the interior floor. The patio door will sit on that. You will apply a silicone seal under the sill as per the door manufacturers instructions.
tThis should give you a water tight seal.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (07-30-2011)
Old 07-31-2011, 01:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Remove that layer of concrete spilling out from the tackless.
Set a door seal product down on your base. It should wrap the door threshold and be set in a silicone caulk. It goes under the sill and up the sides of the RO 6". It should have a 90 degree lip on the back near the interior floor. The patio door will sit on that. You will apply a silicone seal under the sill as per the door manufacturers instructions.
tThis should give you a water tight seal.
Thank you Ron, picked up most of the materials for this job today - will give it a shot tomorrow and report back how things go!
JustADoc is offline   Reply With Quote