Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2010, 12:47 PM   #1

Share |

Waterproofing Cedar Storage Box

This is my first post at the DIY Chatroom, so take it easy on me.

I intend on building a storage chest for patio furniture cushions with cedar deck boards, 2X4s and 4X4s left over from my deck construction. My question to all of you, is what in your opinion would be the best method for waterproofing this box? Is there a recommended material I should use to line to box? Should I attempt to silicone the interior seams and joints within the box?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Lee Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:44 PM   #2

silicone is privy, but visually, it's better than caulking. it also is a little better, I would suggest just sealing the interior seams with the silicone. I built a subwoofer enclosure, and I actually used a small bead of caulking on the joints, so when I put the sides together, the caulking acted as an adhesive for the box. While I screwed it all together. Once that was done I ran a pretty solid bead in all of the seams and used my finger to smooth it out. Had it been for waterproofing, it would've been a great job, but I was making that box airtight, so it worked out great, I would suggest doing the same.

lanemiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Bob View Post
This is my first post at the DIY Chatroom, so take it easy on me.

I intend on building a storage chest for patio furniture cushions with cedar deck boards, 2X4s and 4X4s left over from my deck construction. My question to all of you, is what in your opinion would be the best method for waterproofing this box? Is there a recommended material I should use to line to box? Should I attempt to silicone the interior seams and joints within the box?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
You will not get a weatherprrof seal just by using an unmodified square edged stock. Modify the square edged boards to a shiplap joint and install them as you would siding. Beveling the top of the lower board will make sure water doesn't linger in the joint.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #4

First first thought was to get super fancy with it and use a pvc shower liner material they sell at the box stores in the plumbing dept.

here's a low tech idea, put the cushions in a garbage bag
nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #5
Mod

I’d build it out of ” treated plywood (glue and screw) and wrap that with tar paper the cover that with cedar and make the top a inch or so bigger for a overhang attach some cedar around the bottom perimeter of that so it would fit over the box below. Have a couple of cedar boards on the bottom so the plywood is up off the deck. Make it so it comes out about 18” high and you’ll also have a bench.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 04-07-2010 at 05:19 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote