Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2007, 10:37 PM   #1

Share |

Waterproofing basement/french drains??

hi guys, new here; I am NOT mechanically inclined or handy; just bought a new(old house); was inspected.....now we have a strong musty odor in the basement; the crawl is open to the living space; had a waterproof contractor that I have used before to come out; shows me this meter that says there is moisture/water behind the masonry block and in the floor where one of those interior french drain type systems was done years ago. he say the smell is NOt from the crawl but from wet walls; we tore ALL sheet rock out and there is mold on some block; I do not know how old it is as the previous home owner said she had a tree root problem once and it did flood. he is quoting me a double digit number($$$$$)for an OUTSIDE french drain system and I cannot afford it since we are renovating the entire house; how do I determine whether the smell is crawl or damp walls;someone told me to put plastic over an area of the floor and see if condensation comes up? Atlanta is dry now and we have had no rain for weeks; the smell was stronger when it rained 4 weeks ago when I was there with my contractor; he cannot offer any help. I will be installing a new HVAC system with a complete whole house dehudifier system which I have at my current home; but if that removes the odor I do not want to be fooled into thinking that was the problem(humidity) and ignore water behind the walls after we finish the basement; I don't know if we can mention dollars here but its alot! sorry for the long post, Dogdoc, Atlanta

Last edited by dogdoc; 05-16-2007 at 10:39 PM.
dogdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:32 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

dogdoc,

Get some more evaluations and some other estimates.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:04 AM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

No matter what the cause, you must take a good hard look at your exterior drainage. You must have gutters, downspouts with 10' extensions and the ground sloping away from the house.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote