Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2008, 12:26 PM   #1

Share |

Waterproofing Basement

Hey Everyone - I plan on finishing off my basement. We built the house about 10 months ago. It has poured concrete walls with a walk out. To date we have not had any problems with water and the basement does have a sump pump. Do I need to do an acid wash on the walls before I waterproof them? Or since it is a newer construction do I need to waterproof them at all?

Thanks for all the help.

SnowUtopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Waterproofing Basement

First off, applying a water proofing paint, is just that: It's water proof paint. Such may not work against hydrostatic pressure (Below grade water that pressurized by the weight of the earth above it).

Now, on the other hand, realize that your foundation has already had a waterproofing material applied to the exterior surface, at the grade level, and below the grade level. This is required by code.

Next, even if you were to apply an additional water-proofing material on the inside (which I would only suggest doing, if the exterior had none, and you were experiencing moisture), you would generally not need to prepare the frost walls, in any special way, unless they were constructed in some non-standard way, with non standard materials.

Lastly, you have a sump pump, it is dry thus far. Does that mean that you will never have a moisture issue. It generally takes several cycles of repetative seasons for a moisture issue to show up. At this point, the area sounds good.

I would suggest, as one last measure:
You could take a moisture meter and go around the corners of the frost walls and where the floors meet the walls. Look for any discolorations. Also, look for discolorations/staining where the form pin outlines are in the walls too. Test all these areas with the moisture meter.

If all is bone dry, sound like you may be good to go....

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 03-03-2008 at 12:50 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:03 PM   #3

Waterproofing Basement

AtlanticWB - thanks for the info. I am a property adjuster for a larger insurance company and I did take the moisture reader around the basement and it wasn't beeping - so I think I may be set... Thanks again.
SnowUtopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:29 AM   #4

Waterproofing Basement

I'm in this same situation. New construction (about 8 months ago), I have the traditional Block walls. I have a sump and have not had any standing water in the basement.

I have had a little "sweating" on the walls mostly in the mortar joints. Not over the whole wall just here and there. It's a raised ranch, I have 3 blocks above grade.

Should I use the typical Drylock or Baer Waterproofing before framing?
webweever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:25 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

Waterproofing Basement

Do not use any paint before framing, due to it is more of a Band-Aid, then a solution.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:50 AM   #6

Waterproofing Basement

Agreed! Don't paint. You don't need it. If nothing else, it could unnecessarily raise suspicion the of a future buyer.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:44 AM   #7

Waterproofing Basement

So I should just frame it out and insulate, no moisture barrier at all on the interior?
Old 04-18-2008, 11:06 AM   #8

Waterproofing Basement

Moisture barries keep the wall from breathing, and encourage humid conditions...Good environment for mold. In my opinion, less is better.

I promise you, opinions on this topic will vary.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #9

Waterproofing Basement

So in your opinion I should frame off the wall to leave a space for the wall to breathe and not worry about the sweating?
Old 04-18-2008, 01:13 PM   #10

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Waterproofing Basement

If you put anything on the walls before finishing use Thoroseal. It is a well established waterproofing product that has been used for many years on new construction and for renovations. It is not a paint, but is a cement-based coating that almost becomes part of the concrete. It also does breathe.

You apply it to wall and has been wetted down (light hose or mist) to get a good bond and make application easier. It is the consistancy of thin pancake batter and it is WORK to apply it. - That is why some painters do not like it, but since it is speced by professionals, they have no choice and know they just have to follow the mixing (it comes dry) and application instructions.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:34 PM   #11

Waterproofing Basement

concrete dude, thanks for the tip. i have similar plans in the future.

my foundation is stone and is really old. i don't have any water in basement, but in one corner when it rains heavy, the floor gets different colour and is moist.. but not really any water flow.

the exterior walls probably do not have proper drainage or any water proofing due to age of constructio. that our basement is mostly dry is a miracle (knock on wood). when we go to finish our basement in the future, i'll probably have some contractors come in to trench the exterior foundation and put in the water proofing. on the inside.. i was wondering what to do, and your suggestion of Thoroseal sounds like a good one to me

Knucklez
Knucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:21 PM   #12
Pro-Seal Products, Inc.

Waterproofing Basement

Check out our DP-36. This is the same product used to stop lateral wwater migration in the Panama Canal that we are responsible for the restoration of. Also we have had great success in the industrial and residential markets. Very easy to apply and no smell. Check it out at prosealproducts.com 600-800 square feet per gallon.
BrandonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:53 AM   #13

Waterproofing Basement

Bonsal is also an excellant negative waterproofing. The exterior already has waterpprofing and is a vapor barrier if it is supposed to resisit hydrostatic pressure. You wont hurt anything by adding a negative waterproofer
ncgrogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:06 AM   #14
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Waterproofing Basement

I'm going to be the contrarian. The original poster asked about interior coatings so thats the discussion here. I would suggest that 99% of basement waterproofing is done OUTSIDE.

Seepage at mortar joints indicates likely hydrostatic pressure. Make sure the grade outside is sloped away. The grade is below and wood. Gutters downspouts are extended out at least 4' from the foundation. These things will cover a large percentage of issues.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:47 AM   #15

Waterproofing Basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brik View Post
I'm going to be the contrarian. The original poster asked about interior coatings so thats the discussion here. I would suggest that 99% of basement waterproofing is done OUTSIDE. Seepage at mortar joints indicates likely hydrostatic pressure.
Very true.

Applying a coating to the inside of a leaking wall is like putting a band-aid on a leaky boat. It will slow the water down but for how long???

SnowUtopia, your walls are "damp-proofed" on the outside of the foundation. This is usually a sprayed asphaltic coating that is applied from grade level down to the footing. Water won't get through it unless you develop bad cracks, in which case an interior coating won't help you either.