Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2014, 04:45 AM   #1

Share |

Waterproof walls / pressure resistance

Hey all,

First off, I did use the search box but I could not find anything about it.

I recently purchased a house and one of the first things that gets done is the garden. There is going to be a pond with a garden house in it. Ofcourse the garden house is above water level, but I just love the look of those houses that are not built next to the water but in the water. Like in Venice, where you use a boat to cross the street .

As the pond will be a swimming pond it will be deeper then just a show pond. I need at least three metres (about 10 feet) to make sure I can swim in water instead of plants.

Now, if I start building from the ground up (and thus create a cellar) I fear the pressure of all the water will crush the walls and take everything down.

My idea was sealing the sides and top of that below waterline room but making a small entryway at the bottom. This way the water pushes up into the room compressing the air. By pumping in enough air the room will be dry AND the pressure inside and outside will be equal thus the water no longer being able to crush the walls. In short, two rooms. One below the water surface with the entry on the bottom, the regular room on top being the garden house just like any other would be.

I know it sounds far fetched, but I do think this way I will have a garden house in the water and a secret room to dive into. At that depth there is no risk of pressure related illnesses (except the breathing out obligation when you swim back up to the surface), furthermore I am more then capable of making sure O2 and CO2 levels will be fine.

The real questions:

1) Will a wall made of mortar and brick seep enough water trough that the room will flood anyway (keep in mind, there is an opening in the floor - the entryway - where fresh air bubbles come trough (the pump will put fresh air out at the bottom of the pond right below that opening) so water will just run back into the pond trough the open entryway. It all depends on how fast water streams in (or air streams out). I will make sure I use mortar suitable for water use, but I doubt this will be 100% waterproof, it never is.
2) If I would line the exterior wall on the inside with pond foil, will this in some way harm the structural integrity? On the inside there would be another wall for esthetics, but the pond foil will never be reachable again.
3) Am I mistaken about the pressure, will it collapse anyway? I doubt it, but as I never built anything like this who knows my physics might be off.

Oh and, don't worry. I will not put electricity in it. I guess it will always be damp there.

It's just, if I have to build the entire room I feel I should have that room instead of just flooding it with water. It reminds me a bit of that diving centre in Brussels I went to, where you dive down, sideways and just pop up into air bubbles.

Last edited by B_art; 04-06-2014 at 04:48 AM.
B_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:19 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Waterproof walls / pressure resistance

Quote:
I know it sounds far fetched,
Ayuh,.... It Sure does,.....

You'd be further ahead to do it as done in Venice,...

Build yer little house on Pilings,....

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
joecaption (04-06-2014)