Water, Water Every Where - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Water, Water every where

I own a 125+ years old two family home and am getting water seeping in through the fieldstone walls. I want to install a sump pump system myself.
My problem is not water rising up through the floor but water flowing in through the walls. What type of basin do I use(perforated or not perforated)? Any and all tips will be appreciated. I have run all down spouts away from the foundation and pitched the ground away from the house.

Regards
Lou

Advertisement

lrsasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Water, Water every where

If the water is coming in along a lot of the perimeter, I would install a french drain system with a sump to the exterior.Typically, the 4" pipes are perforated.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,190

Water, Water every where

This site has numerous threads discussing in exhaustive detail how to install a perimeter drain (some people call it a French drain). The exact installation details depend on the type of soil you have, the foundation design for your house, access, and the groundwater level, but you should read the threads and get familiar with the basic process then come back with questions specific to your installation.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:42 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,468

Water, Water every where

expect an apron store will sell ( basins - sumps - crocks ) up there,,, if not, ferguson supply has them,,, think we're paying around $ 50 at lowe's,,, drill 3/4" holes in it prior to installing it so water can flow into it,,, dig the hole 2X as large &, after setting the crock, backfill w/3/4" crushed stone,,, btw. we ONLY use zoeller pumps - m53 - ebay's the best source ( we're paying $ 120 delivered to our door ),,, take a look at our w/site for the diagrams & other diy stuff - good luck.

so much for the downspout & regrading theories, huh ?
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote