Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2009, 12:51 AM   #1

Share |

Water Under Garage Door

What is the best way to correct water going under my overhead garage door. There is a seal on the bottom, but the concrete right in front of the garage door slopes slightly toward the door. A pretty good amount of water still makes it in which I would like to prevent. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

leted_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:45 AM   #2

Water Under Garage Door

Those bulb seal help, but there is no way to make them contact the floor 100%. The only way to fix the problem is to cut the floor at the door and redo it with the proper slope.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:41 AM   #3

Water Under Garage Door

leted,
What we do is snap a line a half inch in from the outside of door (under the door) about a quarter inch. Then grind from the line out to get the slope needed.
I should ask,... is rain water flooding back in the garage or just rain + wind?
Almost all concrete guys do door cutouts which makes that pitch away when they pour, but on older floors not seen very often.
user64621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:02 AM   #4

Water Under Garage Door

You can get a concrete wheel from most hardware stores and you'll need a good angle grinder. as in the previous post. This is the only way to really fix the problem permanently.

It will take some time with a 4.5" angle grinder but just keep working at it AND WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!!! This will create LOTS of dust so be prepared for that.
Salem747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:06 AM   #5

Water Under Garage Door

I had the problem of blowing wind driving water under the garage door. Installed one one these door seals a few years ago - problem solved. YMMV due to your slope issue.

http://www.amazon.com/16-Park-Smart-...396593&sr=1-13
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #6

Water Under Garage Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by user64621 View Post
leted,
What we do is snap a line a half inch in from the outside of door (under the door) about a quarter inch. Then grind from the line out to get the slope needed.

Hi.

What is the quarter inch you are referring to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salem747 View Post
You can get a concrete wheel from most hardware stores and you'll need a good angle grinder. as in the previous post. This is the only way to really fix the problem permanently.

It will take some time with a 4.5" angle grinder but just keep working at it AND WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!!! This will create LOTS of dust so be prepared for that.
Will a 4.5" angle grinder really be capable of doing this? I was assuming I would need something much larger with a water hookup for dust control.

Last edited by testerdiyc; 08-02-2010 at 01:30 PM.
testerdiyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:44 PM   #7

Water Under Garage Door

im-n-s-h-fo, you need to divert the wtr 1st,,, have the same trouble at our home + garage floor slopes to the rear where it puddled & ran under the family room,,, slot drain at the entrance solved it + 3hrs w/6" grinder & diamond cup wheel,,, yes, dusty BUT now dry

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:11 PM   #8

Water Under Garage Door

I have a place for the diverted water to go but there is not enough slope in the concrete from the spot where the door closes outward.

I may buy and larger grinder and a diamond cup wheel and give it a try.

I can't believe that no one has invented a garage door sweep...

itsreallyconc, how wide was your doorway. How much did you grind it down?

Thanks.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:23 PM   #9

Water Under Garage Door

std 16' width - door seal to edge of crete was 8" - took it down 3/4",,, rent UNLESS you need it for future work ( we have 6 6" grinders ),,, best place i've found to buy cup wheels is from ' fc727 ' on ebay,,, get the turbo wheels rather'n anything else,,, we also have shrouds on our grinders which're hooked up to nilfisk vacs.

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
Old 08-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #10

Water Under Garage Door

How far inside from the front of the door does the slope need to start? Do I need to go the full thickness of the door? I had someone grind from the front/face of the door to the 8" edge of concrete and that didn't help at all.

Which brand of shroud and grinder did you use?
Old 08-02-2010, 05:11 PM   #11

Water Under Garage Door

we buy our shrouds from either joe due or dustmuzzle & have milwaukee, aeg, & bosch grinders,,, you'll rent a sawtec from an apron store w/?'s shroud,,, i snapped a line at the outside edge of the door where the gasket sits on the 'crete,,, don't forget conc repairs & wtrproofing are 2 of our work items so our equip's good stuff,,, learned a long LONG time ago there's no such thing as a good cheap tool,,, when you use any tool, you want the best you can find,,, that's how you tell the pro's - by their tools, knowledge, & attitude.

what was the drop of your grind in the 8" ? ? ?

Old 08-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #12

Water Under Garage Door

Quote:
I can't believe that no one has invented a garage door sweep...

Thanks.
Wanted the same thing and the only one I could find online was this one
http://www.new-eskimo.co.uk/garage_doors.html . Unfortunately, it's a British company and I could find no US distributors but you might want to try yourself.
Mike in Arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:43 PM   #13

Water Under Garage Door

try looking at it this way, then,,, think of your basement as a ship's hull below the waterline,,, few can appreciate why basements leak,,, canal lock gates leak, too,,, you'd be trying to build a dam to keep water from infiltrating,,, if canal builders can't, how can we ? ? ?

Old 08-03-2010, 08:58 AM   #14

Water Under Garage Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
we buy our shrouds from either joe due or dustmuzzle & have milwaukee, aeg, & bosch grinders,,, you'll rent a sawtec from an apron store w/?'s shroud,,, i snapped a line at the outside edge of the door where the gasket sits on the 'crete,,, don't forget conc repairs & wtrproofing are 2 of our work items so our equip's good stuff,,, learned a long LONG time ago there's no such thing as a good cheap tool,,, when you use any tool, you want the best you can find,,, that's how you tell the pro's - by their tools, knowledge, & attitude.

what was the drop of your grind in the 8" ? ? ?
Are shrouds specific to the brand/model of grinder? I went to Lowe's last night to look at grinders and shrouds and none of the grinders they were selling had shrouds.

Is sawtec poor quality?

The drop for the already grinded 8" is a little over 3/4".

I'll take few pics later today of my existing doors and how they contact the slab. Maybe you can determine something from the pictures.

If anyone happens to have any pictures or links to pictures of what a properly sloped/grinded door should look like I'd appreciate them. Thanks.

Last edited by testerdiyc; 08-03-2010 at 09:05 AM. Reason: more info
Old 08-03-2010, 09:01 AM   #15

Water Under Garage Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Arkansas View Post
Wanted the same thing and the only one I could find online was this one
http://www.new-eskimo.co.uk/garage_doors.html . Unfortunately, it's a British company and I could find no US distributors but you might want to try yourself.
I ended up finding another UK company with them. "Wilkes", I think.

I wouldn't mind giving this one a try: