Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2010, 03:35 PM   #1

Share |

water seepage where addition meets house

Previous owners to our house built on a sunroom to the house. The original house has 8' hight basement, cinderblock walls. the sunroom has a concrete floor, cinderblock walls, 5' high (they didn't dig down as far as original basement).

We recently had a guy run pipes outside to collect downspout water and run to the woods. Now we are getting some water in crawlspace, right where the additions cinderblocks butt up against original foundation. We had that a little in heavy rains before but now it's worse.

I ran water in the downspouts / new pipe - the water isn't leaking out of those pipes. It's just coming in from the ground.

I am thinking they disturbed the crack between the old foundation and the new addition. How would you seal that - where new cinderblocks touch the old foundation? Now that it's built already - we're not talking about new construction. I guess we have to dig down on the outside to the bottom of the crawl space to seal the entire crack? can't do it on the inside cause that will get the water still coming into the cinderblocks and leaking out somewhere else?

THANK YOU!

babaganoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:45 AM   #2

Got any pics? First, I'd make sure the ground is sloped well (away from the house). If water can't get near the house, it won't get into anything. If that is not the issue, then it sounds like you better dig 'er up and see where the water is coming from, then divert it and seal the outside. Good luck.

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:24 AM   #3
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaganoosh View Post
Previous owners to our house built on a sunroom to the house. The original house has 8' hight basement, cinderblock walls. the sunroom has a concrete floor, cinderblock walls, 5' high (they didn't dig down as far as original basement).

We recently had a guy run pipes outside to collect downspout water and run to the woods. Now we are getting some water in crawlspace, right where the additions cinderblocks butt up against original foundation. We had that a little in heavy rains before but now it's worse.

I ran water in the downspouts / new pipe - the water isn't leaking out of those pipes. It's just coming in from the ground.

I am thinking they disturbed the crack between the old foundation and the new addition. How would you seal that - where new cinderblocks touch the old foundation? Now that it's built already - we're not talking about new construction. I guess we have to dig down on the outside to the bottom of the crawl space to seal the entire crack? can't do it on the inside cause that will get the water still coming into the cinderblocks and leaking out somewhere else?

THANK YOU!
Hydraulic Cement
Old 04-19-2010, 08:26 AM   #4

Here's a picture of the outside of the house where the new / old foundations meet. Being behind the downspout, I hadn't noticed the crack. The addition was added 15 - 20 years ago and the crack was likely concrete covered back then?

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/a...anoosh00/1.jpg
Old 04-19-2010, 09:15 AM   #5

Old 04-20-2010, 01:27 AM   #6

Looks like you have some work ahead of you, digging out down to the bottom and filling in/over the crack. With what? I am not the expert on that, but I bet you'll end up with some kind of tar-type stuff, (Tremco acoustical sealant, for ex) and/or bituthane membrane, which is a rubbery membrane used to water proof ICFs. Unless someone has a better idea, I'd clean the concrete real well, squish Tremco into the crack and gob it on about 6" wide. Then put black, 8 mil visqueen over that, and fill 'er in again. I am assuming that the whole concrete wall has been waterproofed???? Again, make sure any surface water RUNS away from the house. Keep us posted on what someone with more experience suggests, and good luck. Cracks suck. j
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:53 PM   #7

trowelable roofing cement works but wall must be CLEAN !,,, protection board & 2nd layer as previously post'd.

good job, jk !
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:17 PM   #8
Mod

Once again, "Hydraulic Cement" thats what it's made for. Comes in a little bucket ready to use.
Available at any good hardware store.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:51 PM   #9

hydraulic cement has its use but, imn-s-hfo, its a copout & not normally a mtl pick'd by waterproofing pro's,,, IF it is picked, there's a more permanent backup plan/mtl,,, we DO use it to make quik masonary repairs on ext walls prior to applying either hot OR cold waterproofing membranes,,, matter of fact, there's little we can buy at either a hardware OR apron store the empty bkts're good for collecting loose change !

matter of fact, the repr shown may well be hydraulic !
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:19 PM   #10

If the problem didn't happen before the new downspout pipe was installed then I suspect the underground pipe is undersized causing backups during heavy rains. The backup would happen right where the downspout enters the pipe up at the house - right in the worst possible place.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:24 PM   #11
Wire Chewer

I would add another downspout piece going at an angle to push the water away from the house.

I would still look at fixing that problem though. The downspout's extra water is only one part of a bigger problem.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote