Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2014, 02:19 PM   #1

Share |

Water seepage from the walls?!

My parents house is getting water seepage some some of the corners around the house. Not every corner has water seepage, but some. I feel the upper portion of the corners and they are dry. I feel near the foot of the wall and they are wet. All the walls where they have this water seepage is located adjacent to the exterior (not sure what it's called) of the house. The interior walls and corners are fine.

I look around outside the house and don't notice any cracks along the foot of the house. I didn't do any digging and look for cracks beyond what is visible.

They live in the midwest. Their house is a single story house, no basement.

Any ideas? How do I fix this?!

edta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Is this a Slab, or on a Crawlspace? If the main floor walls are showing water seepage, then we need pictures of the outside of the house on all four sides. If at the base, then grading around the outside being too high, if the house is on a slab. If on a crawl, then we need pictures inside the crawlspace also.

If this has been going on for a really long time. You are talking about some nasty stuff behind the outside siding, stucco, brick, whatever covers the outside. And some really nasty stuff inside the walls. Soaked insulation, Black mold, rotted plates & joists. The list goes on.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #3

Is there snow on the roof?
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:24 PM   #4

corners?
check the gutter downspouts, make sure they are pitching water far enough away from the house, and that the dirt is not sloped towards the house.
Gymschu (04-06-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 03:29 PM   #5

We don't know how long this has been going on. The house has seen some pretty rough rainstorms. This is the first winter they went through. We just started noticing this problem a few weeks ago. On one of the said corners we noticed mold creeping up. I treated it with some mold killer spray. I know this only kills the exposed mold but doesn't treat the underlying water seepage problem.

The house doesn't have a crawlspace. So it'd be slab? Where do you need pictures? Will I need to dig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview View Post
Is there snow on the roof?
No more snow on the roof.

What other information do you guys need?
Old 04-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
corners?
check the gutter downspouts, make sure they are pitching water far enough away from the house, and that the dirt is not sloped towards the house.
I think one of the corners has a gutter downspout directly outside. I can extend that. The other corners don't have downspouts.

If water is getting in because of a downspout not pitched properly, does that mean there's a crack and water is seeping through this crack?
Old 04-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #7

No idea without the correct info and some pictures of the outside of the house.
No close ups needed.
Often times a slab home can have water come in under the walls if the slab was pored to low and it was not graded correctly.
Mulch piled up against the foundation, landscape timbers forming pond up against the side of the house can all cause water issues.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by edta1 View Post
We don't know how long this has been going on. The house has seen some pretty rough rainstorms. This is the first winter they went through. We just started noticing this problem a few weeks ago. On one of the said corners we noticed mold creeping up. I treated it with some mold killer spray. I know this only kills the exposed mold but doesn't treat the underlying water seepage problem.

The house doesn't have a crawlspace. So it'd be slab? Where do you need pictures? Will I need to dig?

No more snow on the roof.

What other information do you guys need?
If there was snow within the last 2-3 weeks or possibly more that could be a concern being it takes mold some time to appear depending on temperature and moisture conditions.
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
No idea without the correct info and some pictures of the outside of the house.
No close ups needed.
Often times a slab home can have water come in under the walls if the slab was pored to low and it was not graded correctly.
Mulch piled up against the foundation, landscape timbers forming pond up against the side of the house can all cause water issues.
What kind of pictures do you need? Foot of the house roughly where the seepage area is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Often times a slab home can have water come in under the walls if the slab was pored to low and it was not graded correctly."
This doesn't sound like a DIY job.....
Old 04-06-2014, 10:16 AM   #10
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
What kind of pictures do you need? Foot of the house roughly where the seepage area is?
Ayuh,.... water flows downhill,... it Could be the roof leakin' runnin' down through the wall, 'n yer seein' it at the bottom of the wall,...

Pictures of the corners of the buildin' will be a good start,...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote