Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #1
CAD

Share |

Water running from Driveway into Garage.

My driveway is the same height and grade as the front of my garage and when it rains the water will sometimes get into the garage. It isn't too bad when it rains but the main problem is when the snow and ice melts. I'm in Alaska by the way. What would be the best method to create a drain along the front of the garage and doors? One thought was to make a concrete channel/trench with grate over it but I've heard that they can fill with ice. The only other method I know of is a french drain, but can they be driven over? Would the pipe break? The land to the right of the garage is down hill some so a place for everything to run off isn't a big deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Water running from Driveway into Garage.-photo0065.jpg   Water running from Driveway into Garage.-photo0066.jpg   Water running from Driveway into Garage.-photo0067.jpg  

CAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:52 PM   #2

Driveway drain

hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #3

considering your weather, i'd probably trench w/slope running down to the lower side of the d/w,,, being in atlanta, my next step might be posting my troubles here if that didn't work !

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:05 PM   #4

Looks like a gravel drive. Just regrade it so it drains away from the garage door for the first few feet and then towards the right. A drain will plug up.
jogr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
CAD

Yeah, it's a gravel driveway. The problem about regrading is I'm trying not to spend the money on regrading the whole thing and then re-graveling (although it could use it anyway). The problem about regrading is that it's a half circle/u-shape with the garage driveway part toward the bottom like this: _U. It would just be a hassle and I'm about to sell the house. Just trying to do easier fixes for the little problems.
CAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:30 PM   #6

even in atl, water still runs downhill digging a trench ( swale ) is cheap & still the best solution,,, just don't dig a ditch & ruin them shock absorbers

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote