Water Penetrating Sill Plate Via Planter - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Water penetrating sill plate via planter

Good afternoon,

Hope you are all well!! I have a bit of an issue and was hoping for some ideas. Problem pertains to building a raised flowerbed planter box and potential water damage to home.

I have an older home (1947) and next to the front door is a flowerbed approximately 2'x10'. It used to house beautiful flowers, plants and holiday decorations....but the last couple of years has been empty due to a very large tortoise (50 lbs and about 24'' diameter) that eats and rams everything!! I used some 1x4 dogeared planks, stacked to reach about 1' high to enclose the bed. It does keep him out, but I have not yet filled it as I fear possible damage to my home from water. I know if I just fill in the area with dirt and plants, with my luck the water will permeate the sill plate and come into the house. Is this incorrect thinking? Have never had any type of flooding issues before, but also have never had a raised bed attached to the home and water is a funny, funny thing. The sill plates are not original and the home was partially remodeled about 10 years ago, but I'm just not sure if I should go ahead. Also thought maybe placing a tarp or something below dirtline along stucco, then drilling small drainage holes in planks might work to get any excess water to flow away from the walls.

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated!!

Thank you,
Ally

Advertisement

allyski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 678

Not sure how anyone going to know what your up againt unless you post at least a picture.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

oops!! sorry, this is my first time posting

will get some pix and attach. tyvm!!
allyski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,488

While you're posting pictures be sure to get that 50lb killer tortoise in there too.

Welcome to the forum btw.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 678

That's what I was talking about. I could care less about the planter.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

Would like to see pics of the tortoise ramming everything! Also, pics of the detail of the planter where it attaches to the house mostly along the top section of it as that is where the wall plate and leaking will most likely be. It too depends on how the planter was built against the house, it could be flashed properly with zero problems...
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

If you have not had problems with water, then why have your sill plates been replaced?
fixrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

I would like to see both the damage and the tortoise. There are no native tortoises that reach the size and weight that you indicated. A Galapagos tortoise would qualify but they are protected and currently unattainable- at least legally. The largest native turtle (not tortoise) is the alligator snapper.

Advertisement

retired guy 60 is offline   Reply With Quote