Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2011, 05:48 AM   #1

Share |

Water patch

Hi everyone! I am a longstanding DIYer, and first post! Whoohoo!

The question relates to water ingress in the basement. On one wall there is a small patch of what I assume is residue/chalky yellowish white material. The patch is a circle with a diameter of about 4ft. I haven't seen actual water for a while and we seriously had one of the rainiest March's in a while with approx 4-5in of rain.

Inspecting the ground outside there is a definite slope toward the house on the side with the leak. There is also a concrete patio that appears to have settled toward the house as well and creates a perfect "V" for water collection and can easily explain the existence of this patch. There is a sump pump in place, and that is the only spot along the entire basement.

Since the patch exists, I would love to get it taken care of and never have an issue with it again. I assume part of the issue is grade/drainage away from the house, so I would obviously fix that with mudjacking or replace the patio and grade. I could also just pull out the patio and redo the barrier on the foundation wall if needed. The alternative, i suppose is lock the interior wall with painting.

Any advice to add? I will grab a picture for later. Thanks!

cscpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:08 AM   #2

Water patch

welcome aboard have a question - how do you propose to ' lock the interior wall with painting ' since there's nothing avail that would accomplish this work at a reasonable cost OR lack of experience ? ? ?

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:26 AM   #3

Water patch

Good point,
I was primarily thinking a basement sealer, but I have mixed feelings about those.
Trying to find any conclusive info for waterproofing a basement is very difficult to find on the interwebs.
My thought was to
1) retar/rewaterproof exterior basement along the one face
2) regrade with patio mudjacking and fill dirt
3) interior waterproof with some sort of sealant.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Water patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscpianoman View Post
Good point,
I was primarily thinking a basement sealer, but I have mixed feelings about those.
Trying to find any conclusive info for waterproofing a basement is very difficult to find on the interwebs.
My thought was to
1) retar/rewaterproof exterior basement along the one face
2) regrade with patio mudjacking and fill dirt
3) interior waterproof with some sort of sealant.
Ayuh,... Options 1, or 2 are fine...
Option 3 just slows the water, leaving it Inside the wall, deteriorating it further...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:50 AM   #5

Water patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,... Options 1, or 2 are fine...
Option 3 just slows the water, leaving it Inside the wall, deteriorating it further...
Yeah, I figured number three wasn't really a solution. I won't waste my time. Looks like I get to break out the sledge

Thanks for the input. Part of me wanted to rip out the patio anyway to replace it with a nice deck.