Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2009, 04:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Water near foundation

This picture is the top of my driveway where it meets the house byu the garage. I live in an area where I get alot of snow and ice.

I was replacing the molding around my garage when I noticed that there was a space between the blacktop and the house. You can see where the driveway dips down under the aluminum siding. I can dig with my screwdriver and pull out dirt and other stuff. I also dug out a couple of carpenter ants which is concerning. I did have a gutter that was dumping water and washing across that part of the driveway, but I moved it.

What should I do with this? I would appreciate any advice before I start to open this can of worms.
Attached Thumbnails
Water near foundation-img_5895.jpg   Water near foundation-img_5896.jpg   Water near foundation-img_5890.jpg   Water near foundation-img_5889.jpg  

gruntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,012

Water near foundation

From the picture it appears that you have some type of lap siding, I hope it is not the older "compressed sawdust" type material. The bottom piece appears to have some water damage, so I would start by taking this piece off with replacing it in mind. Then you have a good view of what is going on behind this piece. Eliminating any water in this area is a good start. It does not appear that you can eliminate it all as you get rain and snow there. If there is no basement in that area, it may be possible to install a "gravel drain" there. Just a hole with gravel in it, covered by a grate to keep debris out, this won't work if there is a basement close. Good Luck, David A second look at the picture shows me that you have some ground, held back by beams, sloping down to the area in question. This will cause a lot of water infiltration into this area, therefore some type drain may be needed in the bottom, right about where the chisel is in the photo. OR- the dirt may be pushed back, a drain installed along the perimeter of the concrete, and a new barrier built to retain the dirt.

Last edited by Thurman; 09-26-2009 at 04:44 PM. Reason: more info
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Water near foundation

More then likely the sheathing at the bottom along with the bottom plate are gone. The lower part of the studs are also rotted.
Remove the siding on that side of the garage as far up as you need to and start the replacement process.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Water near foundation

I removed the panel of siding and cleaned out the hole below it. There is a hole under the siding and I can feel what I think is concrete (or something hard) behind the siding. I would just fill in the hole with ashpalt but the pitch of the driveway is above the wood on the side of the house (under the siding). Any other thoughts besides a drain? Can I just trim the wood siding (see dark line in the picture) fill in just below with asphalt up to the wood so that it pitches down away from the house and then trim the aluminum siding so that is covers the work?

There is a basement that begins at the corner of the driveway right where this is happening. So far no water.
Attached Thumbnails
Water near foundation-img_5897.jpg   Water near foundation-img_5901.jpg   Water near foundation-img_5906.jpg  
gruntman is offline   Reply With Quote