Water Leaking Through Basement Wall - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2010, 02:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Water leaking through basement wall

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this. Although the water is coming in where some electric wires are coming in, it doesn't really fit in "Electrical". So I thought maybe foundations and such would fit under Building & Construction...

I have some electric wires coming through my basement wall. When it rains especially heavy water comes in where the wires are. Here's a pic:

We've had a lot or rain lately and all it's taken to clean up the water was a shop vac, a dehumidifier, and a couple fans. The water was just a big puddle.

What can I do to fix this? How hard is it to fix? Should I wait till Spring? (I'm in Vermont and snow has already started falling in some places)

Advertisement

dismas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:24 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,458

easy fix - don't worry as the ground hasn't frozen yet,,, dig down to where the penetration is on the foundation wall's exterior - clean off the dirt - seal w/roofing cement to 12" diameter,,, place a 6mil plastic sheet over that & do it again but make it 18",,, then backfill carefully compacting in 6" lifts as you fill,,, leave the soil a bit high on top of the ground.

Advertisement

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:05 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 522

Is that wires for a sprinkler system? or what does that go to? that MIGHT have to be in a conduit not just ran fee strand like that through a wall
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:21 AM   #4

doesn't really make much difference what purpose the wires serve, does it ? someone patched the hole on the inside, not the outside where it should have been done,,, from my memory, there aren't many homes in vt w/sprinkler systems but its possible they do power a hot tub - again, irrelevant,,, the proper fix is outside im-n-s-h-fo
Old 10-22-2010, 08:26 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

The wires go to this:

I believe it's some sort of converter box so that we can plug in a generator outside (which we don't own). The house came with it.

So, I need to dig down to where it is on the outside and patch it? What do I patch it with?
dismas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:31 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 522

submersiable motor control sounds more ike a fouintain pump or a sump pump not a generator, you'd more then likely have higher gauge wire if it was a generator... but if there is 110v going through those wires that should be in a conduit if it goes through a wall and outside.... that is definatly a question for the electrical people here not just the builders, but how he said to patch it is right, roof tar will stop the leaks but I'm just concerned about if you ever dig near that line if its underground anywhere

edit: I think franklin electic use to make fuel pump controls, is there a fuel tank anywhere on your property to fuel a generator?
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:33 AM   #7

tag on the control box sez ' SUBMERSIBLE MOTOR CONTROL ' - normally that would mean your well's SUBMERSIBLE PUMP ! ! ! am a bit surprised the wires aren't in conduit tho,,, 1st house ?

trowelable ' ROOFING CEMENT ' as noted above - 1 gal should do it
Old 10-22-2010, 08:37 AM   #8

thought some more about this thread - be EXTREMELY careful when excavating - not only do you NOT want to hit the wires, you also need to be aware of soil collapse - no sense dying over a leaking wall
Old 10-22-2010, 08:37 AM   #9
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,460

Personally, I would pull the wires and run conduit to do it correctly, and by the NEC.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:15 AM   #10

that's not likely if someone thought it was the master connect for a possible future stand-by generator, is it ?
Old 10-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,168

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Personally, I would pull the wires and run conduit to do it correctly, and by the NEC.
I agree 100%. If you're going to dig down to correct the water issue, that is the time to make the electrical right, but first of all, I would want to know what it is, and if it even needs to be there. I believe there are more wires than necessary for a submersible pump, but can't think of what else they could be going to. I suggest starting with an exterior investigation, to see what the possibilities are, and, if need be, perhaps have a knowledgable buddy take a look as well. Beyond that, in my opinion, it would be well worth while to contact a local electrician, to have them investigate. A home has a lot of components, none of which last forever, so you may as well start learning about the ones that will affect you in future years.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #12

howzabout 2 110's, a common, & a ground,,, very likely its a 220v submersible pump - note i am NOT an electrician NOR a well-digger good guess, tho, huh ?
Old 10-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,168

Hey, it's as good of a guess as anyone else's at this point, so good job! I am not an electrican or well digger either, but any of a few dozen residential submersible pumps that I have seen had only two hot wires going to them; one red and one black if I remember correctly.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:41 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,256

I agree with putting the wire in conduit but would go one step further and not put the conduit penetration below grade. Run the conduit up the wall to above grade (rim joist is easiiest) penetrate the wall to outside and then run conduit back down to the desired depth of the wire. Patch the leaky hole in the concrete from the outside and seal well with one of the basement wall sealers.

Reason: It is very difficult to seal around wires coming out of a basement wall underground. Only a fool would bore through concrete to run wires that way when it is so easy to go up and over and have no chance of leaks. Look at any house that has underground power - every one comes out of the ground to penetrate the house.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:22 PM   #15

i'm still betting on a water well submersible pump,,, evenrually that wires GOT to power the pump meaning it travels down the well casing - 4 individual wires is puzzling but, perhaps, it all ends it in 1 sheath outside,,, pull the pump & the wire comes out w/it,,, seal well with ' one of the basement wall sealers ' can mean anything - even ' drylock ',,, not worth a ****,,, don't try reinventing the wheel - if you're in rochester, vt, there's no apron store in town & you'd have to drive to rutland,,, there is a genl store just off the green, tho.

foundation wall penetrations are very common not only historically but today,,, gone are overhead wires - now everything's buried,,, we seal those penetrations often

Advertisement

Last edited by stadry; 10-22-2010 at 06:24 PM.