Water Leakage And Condensation - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

water leakage and condensation

This is a new house that is almost totally completed and ready to move in. three major water problems detected 2 weeks ago. 1)Gas Dryer (not in use yet) - discovered gas dryer leaking water onto floor;when we opened the door of the dryer we discovered at least 1" of water lying in the tumbler/drum. Inside of dryer plus filter has water in it. Water also leaking out of gas dryer exhaust vent onto basement stairway, railing and onto basement floor. Dryer is on main floor and the exhaust is vented out through basement to the outside of house.
2) Exhaust fan over gas range in kitchen. water is leaking into the exhaust fan and coming out of both vents and running down onto stove and down the backsplash. Exhaust fan is vented into the attic and then horizontally out the side of the house (not the roof).
3) Wood stove in great room - water is leaking from the ceiling area of wood stove exhaust flu down into the top of the wood stove and on top of the wood stove, inside and out. Opened the front door of the wood stove and there is water inside as well. you can see water dripping down the back of the firebox & onto the lower inside of the wood stove. Water then drips out the bottom of the wood stove through the cold air intake pipe and onto the stone hearth under the middle of the wood stove.
Builder brought in an HVAC and thermal expert and said it is all condensation caused by inside air being colder than the hot summer air outside. We live in the mountains in the northeast. We need to find a fix for this or we cannot move into the house. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Advertisement

cecelia65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 702

Got some picture of those outside vents?
What he told you sounds like PS to me.
Sounds more like the vent covers where not installed and it rained at some point.

Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #3

There are vent covers with a flap. It had rained that weekend and it was hot for several days. They stuffed some insulation in them and the condensation was less but still there, especially in the dryer. As for the wood stove there may be a leak on the roof where it has a stainless cap. Wood stove installers who did the flu and cap will be here this monday. What do you mean by PS. BTW, we are in Northeast PA. Interesting that the bath fans have similar ductwork with covers and flaps and no leakage inside. Thanks for the response.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 156

I think Joe meant that it sounds like BS and I would absolutely have to agree.

I have seen a lot of different things in my experience and I have never seen that much of an appreciable amount of condensation coming from outside vent ducts. A little, certainly, but to the point where it is all over the place and accumulated in your dryer and leaking onto the stove? Never.

A word of caution, the dryer is gas and if gas components are subjected to flooding or excessive moisture then you may have to overhaul that dryer before using it in order for it to be safe.

Pictures will definitely help. The appliance areas and the outside vents.
FClef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #5

I will try to get some pictures. The builder brought in an energy consultant and he said because the inside air is 65 degrees and the outside air was 90 that the AC could not handle the extra condensation?? They talked dewpoints, etc. Find that hard to believe & he helped the HVAC people design the system so something was not figured in correctly. Now they want to propose some other extras to fix the condensation problem (more money?? & we aren't paying for it), saying a dehumidifier will not do the trick. An AC is also a dehumidifier so why isn't it doing the job? (rhetorical ?) I mentioned the dryer and the builder said wet clothes go in the dryer don't they. Our answer, the whole thing is soaking wet. Some builders think consumers are stupid but my father was a builder and my husband is no dummy in this area either. thanks for the info especially on the dryer.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecelia65 View Post
I will try to get some pictures. The builder brought in an energy consultant and he said because the inside air is 65 degrees and the outside air was 90 that the AC could not handle the extra condensation?? They talked dewpoints, etc. Find that hard to believe & he helped the HVAC people design the system so something was not figured in correctly. Now they want to propose some other extras to fix the condensation problem (more money?? & we aren't paying for it), saying a dehumidifier will not do the trick. An AC is also a dehumidifier so why isn't it doing the job? (rhetorical ?) I mentioned the dryer and the builder said wet clothes go in the dryer don't they. Our answer, the whole thing is soaking wet. Some builders think consumers are stupid but my father was a builder and my husband is no dummy in this area either. thanks for the info especially on the dryer.
I think Joe was right about the BS. Something is amiss. I have never seen moisture end up coming out of vent systems like you are describing. I wouldn't pay an extra penny and wouldn't be satisfied until the problem is found. You might want to have a different Hvac person stop by for an opinion. The one responsible for the work isn't going to give you an honest answer in this case. Bottom line, when they design a system for a house, they guarantee it to work. Most of their design work centers around heat loss and gain, and how to size the heat and AC to take care of that.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:49 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,698

Why on earth would you have the indoor temperature 65 ? Planning on hanging beef ? You'll need a license for that. They were talking dew point and rightfully so. If the dew point temperature reaches 66 or higher, sure there will be condensation.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #8

Husband has a serious health issue which I won't go into..suffice it to say he needs the temp at 65. We stated from day one that we needed this and the HVAC and thermal guy said they could do this with the units they designed but now they are stating what you said. Now we or they have to figure out what to do to alleviate this problem. Do we get some elaborate system put in or do we get dehumidifiers put onto the system. Appreiciate and thanks for your response.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,698

I'm very sorry to hear of the health issues and hope I didn't offend too much in my reply. I apologize.

If in fact condensation is the culprit, here is an idea if the temperature could be modified just a few degrees, maybe 2 or 3 degrees, for a period of time in a 24 hour period.

In the hours of dew point temperatures higher than the desired 65 possibly set the thermostat just above that dew point temperature and then back to 65 after the dew point temperature drops below 65. Your HVAC people may be able to help with a system of this nature which is far beyond my expertise.

If we google dew point monitor there is a wide selection of modern technology available and possibly one that would do what's desired automatically.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #10

Thanks and no need for the apology, was not offended at all by the reply. Just upset because they should have said something initially. Will do a google search as you suggested and also will talk to HVAC folks. Appreciate all the help because we want to make sure the right things are being done on this.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 622

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecelia65 View Post
Interesting that the bath fans have similar ductwork with covers and flaps and no leakage inside.
Your bathroom exhausts will likely be insulated, so the warm, moist attic air would not contact the (relatively) cool duct coming out of your bathroom. Your dryer duct will be cold (65 degrees), but the duct is connected to the outdoors, so air inside of it is warm and moist. And water condenses on the inside of the duct.

The humidity is in the outside air, not indoors, so I can't see how putting a dehumidifier in your house is going to have any effect.

I don't want to scare you, but I would be a little concerned that you may also have condensation on the outside of your vapor barrier in your walls.

The humidity has been brutal around here too. A cold front will probably come through in a few days and lower the humidity, and you will likely stop seeing condensation. But you know you will see humid days again.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 564

This struck me as odd. In post 1, it is stated the dryer is On the main floor and is vented to the basement.

How does water flow up into the dryer?
Unless it is conditioned to 65 degrees, the basement temperature should temper any incoming outside air unless its a short run.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:23 AM   #13

The designer introduced in an power advisor and I won't go into..suffice it to say he needs the temperature at 65. I wouldn't pay an additional cent and wouldn't be pleased until the issue is discovered. You might want to have a different Air conditioning individual quit by for an viewpoint. Our response, the whole factor is immersing wet. Some contractors think customers are ridiculous but my dad was a designer and my spouse is no phony in this place either. thanks for the details especially on the clothing dryer.

Advertisement

mariaruth is offline   Reply With Quote