Water Leak / Rec Room - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Water leak / rec room

When it rains medium/heavy we gets small amount of water in one area where the wall meets the floor in our basement rec room which has drywall. The small backyard patio we have is slightly pitched towards the house. Mudjacking the patio slab is putting a bandaid on the problem, digging and regrading the dirt against the home is an expensive option or we can have someone do epoxy injection on the basement wall where the crack is which is also expensive.

What if we pour sand and add pavers on the patio and pitch all the water away from the home?

Advertisement

dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Water leak / rec room

Mudjacking the slab would be a solution. I don't understand your "bandaid" characterization.

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #3

Water leak / rec room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519
Mudjacking the slab would be a solution. I don't understand your "bandaid" characterization.
What happens to a cement slab after a few years when its mudjacked no matter what "filler" underneath is used? Stay in place or dip down back to where it was over time?
Old 12-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #4

Water leak / rec room

What I am trying to figure out is if epoxy injection is better than mud jacking at this point. I truly do not know if there is a crack in the wall because the drywall is 2' away from the poured concrete basement wall. Water comes in where the wall meets the floor. Mud jacking will hopefully divert the water away, but let's say I mud jack it....and I still have the same problem....?
Old 12-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #5

Water leak / rec room

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1 View Post
What I am trying to figure out is if epoxy injection is better than mud jacking at this point. I truly do not know if there is a crack in the wall because the drywall is 2' away from the poured concrete basement wall. Water comes in where the wall meets the floor. Mud jacking will hopefully divert the water away, but let's say I mud jack it....and I still have the same problem....?
I'm thinking, the success of the injected material, whatever it is, will depend on the base it rests on.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:34 PM   #6

Water leak / rec room

Quote:
I'm thinking, the success of the injected material, whatever it is, will depend on the base it rests on.
Would you recommend mudjacking which would pitch the patio slab away from the house? If there truly is a crack on the basement wall behind the drywall would that just get left alone? I ask because if I can divert the water away the problem is solved.....until the patio slab dips back down.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #7
retired union carpenter

Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

Water leak / rec room

What if we pour sand and add pavers on the patio and pitch all the water away from the home?

water will simply soak through the sand to concrete slab and run right back toward the house.

if you have the 3-4" for sand and pavers? why not just pour a cap onto slab pitching the water away?

a always, just my thoughts

good luck
coupe
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:29 PM   #8

Water leak / rec room

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe

water will simply soak through the sand to concrete slab and run right back toward the house.

if you have the 3-4" for sand and pavers? why not just pour a cap onto slab pitching the water away?

good luck
coupe
Can you explain what you mean by a cap?
Old 12-12-2011, 09:36 PM   #9

Water leak / rec room

Quote:

good luck
coupe
If you mean pouring concrete over the existing slab the issue would be cost.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:12 PM   #10

Water leak / rec room

I don't think adding additional weight to a compromised slab will help.
Will repitching the slab keep all the water out of the basement? I don't think so, but you can do an experiment to see what happens.
Are you in a snow zone?
Old 12-12-2011, 10:18 PM   #11

Water leak / rec room

Quote:
I don't think adding additional weight to a compromised slab will help.
Will repitching the slab keep all the water out of the basement? I don't think so, but you can do an experiment to see what happens.
Are you in a snow zone?
Southern WI
Old 12-12-2011, 10:20 PM   #12
retired union carpenter

Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

Water leak / rec room

yes, I mean pour concrete slab on top of existing slab. the cost of a few yards of concrete seems to me to be the least costly way to go! depending on size? it's a do it yourself project.

as always, just my thoughts.

good luck
coupe
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:34 PM   #13

Water leak / rec room

Quote:
yes, I mean pour concrete slab on top of existing slab. the cost of a few yards of concrete seems to me to be the least costly way to go! depending on size? it's a do it yourself project.

as always, just my thoughts.

good luck
coupe
Thanks. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to go. Maybe someone else has had a similar experience.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:49 PM   #14

Water leak / rec room

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1 View Post
Southern WI
So that's a yes about the snow zone. Too bad. In a temperate zone, i'd try setting up a plastic sheet(s) with a pitch away from the house, keeping the rain off the patio and away from the house to see what happened.
This time of year, you'd need a fairly sturdy structure to place the plastic over.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:03 PM   #15

Water leak / rec room

Quote:
So that's a yes about the snow zone. Too bad. In a temperate zone, i'd try setting up a plastic sheet(s) with a pitch away from the house, keeping the rain off the patio and away from the house to see what happened.
This time of year, you'd need a fairly sturdy structure to place the plastic over.
I don't know if mudjacking is ok to do this time of the year. Milwaukee is supposed to get an inch of rain on Wed.

Advertisement