Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #1

Share |

water damage around the tub

Hi, thanks for reading.

a small area around the tub is getting soft... please see pic. Only the area right next to the lip of the tub, and the drywall at the real bottom of the tub is fine.

What caused the problem and how can I fix it without redoing all the drywall?

Thanks a lot
Attached Thumbnails
water damage around the tub-img_20130314_121526.jpg   water damage around the tub-img_20130314_121539.jpg  

hohadcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #2

Looks like molded cauking at the bottom of the tile in the corner and the tile was not run all the way to the edge of the tub.
Someone tryed putting a blob of caucking to make a dam but all that does is stop the water from being able to run back into the tub.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
Roofmaster

Thank you for the great pictures.

Now this is exactly what I mean when I said that sealant should not be injected at the bottom of tile. Here, water has been sealed into the system, and the only way it can get out is to run behind the sealant and into the wall. Note the hole in the grout that I circled. Water enters here, and is trapped behind the sealant. This is the same thing that happens on building exteriors when bone heads inject sealant into weep holes.

Last edited by jagans; 03-16-2013 at 11:34 AM.
jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post

Now this is exactly what I mean when I said that sealant should not be injected at the bottom of tile. Here, water has been sealed into the system, and the only way it can get out is to run behind the sealant and into the wall. Note the hole in the grout that I circled. Water enters here, and is trapped behind the sealant. This is the same thing that happens on building exteriors when bone heads inject sealant into weep holes.
Hey, thanks for your comment.

Can you post the circled picture?

Thanks
Old 03-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post

Are you saying that we should never caulk the surrounding of the tub, where it meets the wall?

What can I do to fix it w/o replacing all the dry wall?

thanks

Last edited by hohadcr; 03-20-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #6

please help!
Old 03-21-2013, 06:43 AM   #7
Mold!! Let's kill it!

The drywall is terminally ill. It needs to be replaced. There is no magic cure for compromised drywall. When you replace it, use something water resistant. Densarmor drywall or something similar. I would bet that the same drywall extends behind the tile and has turned to mush. It is only a matter of time (very short time), before the tile will come loose. In that case, cement board is called for. Worse yet is leaving it go, since any water that is getting in there is likely to be rotting wall studs or sub floor.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #8

A bead of silicone caulking is always used along the tub to tile area, just not that bead you have running all over the tub.
I do agree with the other poster that if it's drywall behind that tile it all needs to go and this time run the tile out behond the edge of the tub..

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote