Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #1

Share |

Water coming in over the top of the wall in the basement

Kind of frustrated. Just a year a go I had B-Dry fix a crack in the basement but when they came pout they showed me that the area where thye did their work was dry. After pulling off the drywall in the east wall of the basement it was obvious that water was dripping steadily down the wall. The drywall was damp and the carpet was soaked. The upstairs fireplace is dirctly above this 6 fooy area where I see water dripping down the wall. I took a hose and ran water on the deck pointing it at the corner of where the brick fiireeplace meets the brick wall of the house. I have noticed that rain pools on the deck. Could this be the problem? Needing better drainage through the deck slats. I thought about drilling holes through the deck planks to allow for better drainage. Why is it seeping over the foundation wall? What else can I try? There are no visible cracks in the wall.

michaelduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
Experienced

Welcome michaelduke, to the best DIY'r site on the web.

I beleive that when whoever built the deck, they removed the siding where the first deck header attaches to the side of the house, there is probably water running down between this header onto the sill plate on the top of the foundation and then into the basement.

You should be looking at removing the first deck plank, and sealing the top of the header that is bolted to the house with a good sealant, such as a polysulfide sealer or silicon.

An aluminum flashing would be preferred, but then you would have to trim the deck plank to allow the flashing to overlap the deck header.

Mark

Old 03-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #3

Okay.
The board is bolted directly to the brick wall. Can I seal the first board where it meets the bick walll? Would that help? If I remove the first board then I would be able to see a 2x6 board fastened to the brick wall. I can get underneath the deck. I have 2 feet or so of space to work in. Is there anything I can do from beneath the deck? I am unsure where the sealant would go.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:56 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Bolting a deck ledger to a brick veneer wall is never suggested because of the problems with flashing, waterproofing and rot/mold. That is the reason the best way is to have a free-standing deck to avoid the situation.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #5

The deck was there when I moved in. What can I do to fix it short of tearing down the deck?
Old 03-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #6
Experienced

The most effective way to fix your problem is to remove the first board, cut it down to allow a flashing to cover the top of the deck header / ledger board.

This is the most effective, second would be to seal the top deck board to the brick face and then get underneath and remove the bolts (1) at a time and squirt silicon into the hole, then coat the bolt in silicon and screw it back in.

The whole idea is to try and prevent water from entering the bolts holes and or the top sill plate of the house.

Mark