Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2009, 06:14 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

water coming into sump from ground. Is this normal?

Our rain season (basically all of summer) refuses to end and we are getting lot of rain again, and I also had some sewage issues (unrelated) so I've been keeping a closer eye on the sump and noticed that water is actually comming from the ground, where it's circled in my picture.

Is this normal? Water also comes out of the two pipes (goes to weeping tiles) when it rains hard enough, but I find it weird it's coming from the ground too. Would it be safe to pour concrete to make it a cleaner bottom? I'd just like to make it a bit more aesteticly pleasing, and also just cleaner in general. I'm thinking that may be a source of the pill bugs I find every now and then. I'd do this in like January when it's 30 below and it stops raining.
Attached Images

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 12

made my living in waterproofing so i NEVER saw sump, pump, OR wet bsmt that wasn't pleasing to MY eye

either some wtr's being directed to that spot OR your wtr table ( false/actual ) is high therefore its natural to see wtr,,, if you place conc in that spot, it'll only show up somewhere else where, possibly, you cannot see it &/or the damage it may/mayn't cause

spray w/50-50 mix of clorox/wtr - you'll be fine,,, it this spot's still unappealing to your eye, look the other way,,, often form follows function look at my w-site - may explain it more clearly

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:41 PM   #3
Wire Chewer

It only does this when it rains, so I'm just worried that having water go past the weeping tiles and go under the house is bad, but if it's normal then at least I know it's being taken care of, and I wont touch it. Not like I look in there often, but thought it would make a nice little project to clean it up a bit. Suppose if I put the cement but leave a small hole I should be ok? For the bugs I'm thinking I could maybe put moth balls in some kind of holster or something, think it would work? I put clorox in it every now and then if I start getting musty smells.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:56 PM   #4

I wouldn't do anything to try to stop the water from infiltrating the sides of the pit. Probably best that it is finding its way there. You could add some gravel to the bottom to clean it up a little if you like. Your drain tile on the perimeter of your foundation will catch a lot of the water you get when it rains, but will never catch all of it. I wouldn't get too concerned unless you start seeing signs of settlement.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:53 PM   #5
Wire Chewer

That's good to hear then. It was the first time I noticed water coming out of the sides instead of the two pipes, so thought it was not normal. Think that's what I'll do is just add some gravel. To stop the bugs think I'll just put screening on the cover. I'll just have to make more holes to make sure water can still go through in decent volume in case of an accident like the HW heater letting go.