Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-06-2013, 12:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Water coming in foundation.

I am new here. I live in west tennessee. My wife and I just kinda took over her moms house. We have been remodeling it and have noticed that the living room was the carport. It has a concrete floor. At the end of the concrete floor is the laundry room and another little room. It has wood floor. It was rotten so we tore it out and noticed water was under the house there. The termite company would not help me with anything. Every time it rains it piles under the floor a couple inches or so. I have took some pics and the gap where i have dug out is between the house and the concrete drive to the shop. Looking at the pic to the right at the end the concrete connects to the house and water piles in there. Someone put a drain in there with a piece of metal over it and filled it in with dirt.. under the foundation beside the drain there is a big hole and across from the pvc drain the bottom cinder block has a hole in it for some reason. There is a drain pipe wit holes in the back of the house about two foot from the house and about 3 inches in the ground running around the other side of the house. There was a in ground pool behind the house when the house was built but they filled it in with dirt 10 yrs ago or so. The dirt is above the foundation blocks in the pics its kinda level with the bottom of the gutter down spout. I have no idea how to fix this and we have to get it done fast so we can get moved in asap. Thanks for any help
Attached Thumbnails
Water coming in foundation.-photo0692.jpg   Water coming in foundation.-photo0693.jpg   Water coming in foundation.-photo0694.jpg   Water coming in foundation.-photo0695.jpg  

waterlogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,370

even w tn water is the same as ga wtr its always best to keep it OUT of the house

1st fill that hole w/bagg'd conc OR hydraulic cement,,, after that, clean the wall & slather on a coat of roofing cement,,, put the dirt back & you're done that's the quik fix !

when you get time, look around & do some proper grading & soil compaction,,, downspouts discharging 6' from the house, etc,,, this thread should explain the rules of wtr & how they apply to your very fine home: Water in basement in older home

probably 1 of the moderators ( maybe even oh'mike [ when he gets up ] ) will move your post to bsmts, conc, & something - good luck !

Last edited by stadry; 05-06-2013 at 06:26 AM.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
waterlogged (05-06-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Definitely extend that downspout and make sure gutters on that side of the house are clean.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
waterlogged (05-06-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Do you know absolutely that the one you uncovered is the only hole/entrance water is coming in through? Might as well dig around the rest and make sure you have it all sealed.
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymgmt View Post
Do you know absolutely that the one you uncovered is the only hole/entrance water is coming in through? Might as well dig around the rest and make sure you have it all sealed.
No i think its coming in the back also. The ground kinda slopes about ten foot from the house it starts gradually sloping to it. Wonder what I should seal the bricks with. They said roofing cement. I just wonder how well that will b over the years being in the dirt. The big hole beside the drain pipe keeps filling back up with water. I guess the ground is soaked. It has not rained for couple days here..
Old 05-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

I had an similar issue a few years back. We excavated down to the footers of the house, cleaned the walls, filled in the cracks then used a sealer, then put a plastic wrap around the concrete I forget the name but it came in 100ft rolls. Last step is brought in more dirt to grade properly away from the house. I think total cost was about $1000 but did all the work our self over a 3 day weekend.
dabeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeast View Post
I had an similar issue a few years back. We excavated down to the footers of the house, cleaned the walls, filled in the cracks then used a sealer, then put a plastic wrap around the concrete I forget the name but it came in 100ft rolls. Last step is brought in more dirt to grade properly away from the house. I think total cost was about $1000 but did all the work our self over a 3 day weekend.
OK thanks. I am for sure going to do that. I wonder what i should seal the bricks with? Tar or a concrete sealer or what? I am also how deep and how far from the house should i run the drain around the back of the house? The one there is about 2 feet from house and maybe 4 to 6 inches deep. Should i redo it or leave it alone.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:07 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,370

we repr w/appropriate repr mtl - typically ( mortar OR conc ) as hyd cement's not permanent patch mtl imo,,, bsmt wall/foundation sealing's done w/meadows/sonneborn mtl generally,,, do NOT forget the cove area where bsmt wall meets footer,,, we also install hdpe fabric to protect ( miradrain ) wtrproofing coating from backfill damage,,, some soils are capillary so always try to discharge downhill to daylight,,, have 2 jobs this week using this method

tars can only be applied hot ( liquid ) & is brittle when cold - inflexible & unsuitable for this purpose
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:48 PM   #9

What if i dig about 2 foot out from walls and poor concrete down to top of footer all the way around. Would that stop the water? Also installing a new drain should i get the pipe with holes all the way around it or holes on one side only? Which way should the holes go on the one sided pipe? Up or down?