Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2009, 08:50 PM   #1

Share |

water comes down basement walkout stairs

My house has a set of stairs from the underground basement that leads out to the backyard. There are a set of steel doors covering the opening to the yard and a regular door covering the opening to the basement. When there is a heavy rain, water rises above the lip of the walkout steel doors, comes down the stairs, and leaks under the basement door. I have already dug a trench on all sides of the walkout doors that is filled with rock to help with the water problem and there is a grate directly in front of the walkout doors that connects underground with the sump pump pipe to direct the water away from the walkout doors and the house. Is there anything else I can do to prevent the water overwhelming these two measures and coming into the basement?

carriepartlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:13 PM   #2

water comes down basement walkout stairs

The area surrounding the entryway needs to be raised in some way or atleast some type of small irrigation system needs to be installed to be included with the trench you dug out. The only thing I could suggest at the moment, would be to dig a small trench, leading STRAIGHT away from the entryway. Make it about 6-8 inches deep, fill the bottom 2 inches with gravel, insert a PVC pipe with holes drilled down the length. (usually just the sides or tops, so the water flows down the pipe before running out into the soil). Then cover the rest with gravel, and cover back with the sod//dirt. This is the quickest and simplest solution (but not always the easiest at making look pretty when finished)

Jamamros is offline   Reply With Quote