Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #1

Share |

Water behind front porch

Sorry for the long post. We purchased this house 16 months ago and the headaches never stop. While finishing the garage, I found termite damage at the front corner of house, behind the front stoop. It turned out to be extensive damage to the sill plate (14 ft completely gone), band joist, and floor joists. The previous owners had that area behind the stoop and the entire foundation treated for termites a year before they sold but they didn’t repair the damage.

I had all of the termite damage repaired by a pro. There were signs of water under the door and stoop but it wasn’t wet. We didn’t use a moisture meter to verify but probably should have…. Now, I have noticed water getting into the garage behind the stoop. The first time I noticed this was a few weeks ago, post-termite repairs, after some brief driving rain in the middle of night. Last night, the remnants of Sandy, about 24 hours of driving rain, really pushed water inside the garage. The corner of the carpet in basement is also just slightly wet under the baseboard so it is running down the foundation wall as well.

Pictures attached – some close up and some further back to give you the lay of the land. I assume that either flashing was not installed or has failed behind the stoop. Is the vinyl siding installed properly against the brick? The other puzzling part is that this is new; I haven’t seen this water in the garage until now. There was a ton of dirt and caked mud inside the floor in this area – I guess it’s possible that the water was being soaked up before it made it to the garage side of the foundation.

I’d like to fix this myself. After all, I can’t really F it up more than it already is. I just need a little guidance.

Last edited by silversport; 11-13-2012 at 09:29 AM.
silversport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #2

Water behind front porch

What you want to bet if you pull some of that siding off there's no water proofing done to the wall before that stoop went in.
No sheathing or siding should have been within 6" of that stoop or any grade.
No way is J moulding and caulking going to stop water from getting in under it.

Can you back up and take a picture of that entrance way? Anyway to build a roof over that area.

Last edited by joecaption; 10-30-2012 at 04:08 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:19 PM   #3

Water behind front porch

There's no doubt that it wasn't constructed properly. We hope to tear out the stoop and build a covered porch across the front of the house but that's a few years away.

In the interim, what should I do, short of tearing out the stoop, to minimize the water intrusion?
Old 11-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #4

Water behind front porch

We had about 1/2 inch of steady (but not driving) rain last night and I don't see any water in the garage or feel any dampness in carpet in basement. However, after we dried out from Sandy, I hit that inside corner with a garden hose and water appeared in the garage within minutes. So... I'm hoping that the issue is just isolated to the inside corner.

As I remove the siding what should I be looking for? Any suggestions for waterproofing the inside corner would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #5

Water behind front porch

Unless that stoop is removed there's no 100 % sure way to seal it up.
By now when the siding removed you going to find at least rotted sheathing under it. Once the stoops gone your going to also most likly find behind the sheathing at least black mold growing, more likly wet insulation, and rotted sill plate if not more.
At a minumum I would cut the brick away from the wall with a ciruler saw with a diamond blade to see if I could make room for some Storm and Ice Shield.
Once the stoops gone you facing removing the sheathing, and any rotted or termite eatten wood.
I've seen hundreds of houses built the way yours is, may be a deck ledger board with no flashing, concrete stoop or patio, all end up the same in the end.
Such a simple concept to water proof the wall before setting something that close to it, not sure why a lot of builders do not get it.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote