Water In Basement - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Water in Basement

I have lived in my house for about a year in a half and was starting to remodel my basement. The basement is waterproof and I have never had an issue with water in the basement except for a storage room which was due to the gutter over the patio needing to be cleaned out. I just finished laying my tiles in one area and the next morning I had water up to my ankles in the basement. The owner of the house next door was out doing some work on the property line with a drain I believe because apparently he is having a water issue in the basement of his house. You can see the water running from his backyard, down the middle of our houses like a rushing stream from a recent rain storm (other times before when it rained you could see the water in his yard). I do have a walkout where I can see where some of the water entered in but I can't figure out how the rest got in because it was the whole back side of the basement including the storage area again. (Had to go out and purchase a shop vac) On the other side just the laundry area not even making it to where the sump pump is located.

I guess my question is, do you think by the owner of the house next door digging in spots around the property line, that it caused the water to divert into my basement? I was just about to put my carpet down next, is there something I can do to prevent this to happen again? Thanks.

Advertisement

pawprts04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Water in Basement

Something has changed that all of a sudden you are getting water from your higher neighbor. You should be able to see this change on his property.
If he is pumping water out of his basement and it's getting into yours, I would have a talk with him. There's more then one way to locate a sump hose.

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
coderguy (07-19-2011)
Old 07-19-2011, 11:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 520

Water in Basement

Quote:
The basement is waterproof
... highly suspect.

if the houses are close together, the area between them is wedge shapped and filled with drainage rock. maybe your neighbour and you need to lay some longer pipe to direct the water between the houses and direct farther away to grade or a dry pit.

Knucklez