Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Warped 4x4 basement pole

Is there a way to correct a warped 4x4 wood post used in the basement for support. Our basement has 4 poles supporting the floor above. They all have warped to some degree. One is warped and is not along the supporting beam as the others, so it is making it hard to finish off the wall around it. Can I straighten the beam? Does it need to be removed and replaced? How would that be done? Does it need to be completely removed from the cement and a new one installed or can it be cut off at the bottom and a new pole set on top of it?

craig.stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:24 PM   #2

Warped 4x4 basement pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig.stone View Post
Is there a way to correct a warped 4x4 wood post used in the basement for support. Our basement has 4 poles supporting the floor above. They all have warped to some degree. One is warped and is not along the supporting beam as the others, so it is making it hard to finish off the wall around it. Can I straighten the beam? Does it need to be removed and replaced? How would that be done? Does it need to be completely removed from the cement and a new one installed or can it be cut off at the bottom and a new pole set on top of it?
Is the post buried in the concrete? I don't think its wise for wood to be in contact with concrete.
I would saw it off and then chisel out the butt. Then, fill the cavity with new cement, then anchor the new post with a suitable post anchor.

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #3

Warped 4x4 basement pole

What does the post that is not supporting a beam support? Posts should always support beams -- if it's just supporting a single joist it's wrong.

If you want to remove a post, you need to support the beam with temporary posts. Put in a post on either side of the post you want to remove, so that they will hold up the beam, remove and replace the post, and then remove the temporary posts.

Any chance you can post some photos?
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Warped 4x4 basement pole

Quote:
If you want to remove a post, you need to support the beam with temporary posts. Put in a post on either side of the post you want to remove, so that they will hold up the beam, remove and replace the post, and then remove the temporary posts.
Ayuh,... 'n put Properly sized Steel posts back in....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #5

Warped 4x4 basement pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig.stone View Post
You have a systematic problem with your support posts. Wood posts do not get buried into concrete and support a house. The area where the wood is has been compromised. You need to dig out new locations for the footings for the new metal posts filled with concrete.
You also need guidance, as to their spacing.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote