Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2008, 11:43 PM   #1

Share |

Warming up a deck

First I'd like to say how awesome this forum is. I've been lurking for many months, but finally got around to creating an account now that I have my own question to pose.

I've searched the forums and found a few clues, but nothing that really helps me out fully.

I have a covered deck that is two tiered. One tier is a single step down from the other. What I'd like to do is make the lower part into a 3 season deck, while keeping the upper part as it is, since it has my grill on it.

The deck is off the second story of the house, there is a full patio underneath it. The main objective is to warm it up considerably. I live in the Seattle area, so during the fall and spring it isn't all that cold.

I was thinking of maybe screening it in, but that would involve creating some kind of wall between the two tiers of the decks. Not unheard of, but kind of.. not normal.

Another idea is just to add sufficient heat source and not need to 'trap' it with screening. Like a firepit or something. But with the deck being covered, I have to vent the smoke somewhere.

I'm hoping that someone has some ideas on how I could go about this. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

erasei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:35 AM   #2

Warming up a deck

Can you post some pics? show roof lines too.

Not sure if a wood stove with pipe through the roof will work... You should take the capped stove pipe over the ridge line.

Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:05 AM   #3

Warming up a deck

In November I visited San Diego. Went to an outside Hacienda Restaurant with 6' long electric, radiant heat fixtures mounted on poles surrounding the perimeter. Very effective and not unsightly.

Love to put some up in my backyard in Eastern WA.
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, heating, screen