Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2011, 10:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 107

wanting to reinforce some joists in my basement, need opinions/suggestions

Not all that knowledgeable with DIY stuff (new homeowner, looks like I'll get familiar here quick!), but I'd like to add some reinforcing to the few joists that run right below the foyer, so that I can put a treadmill there and run on it, without worrying about any issues below. I'm a big guy, so I'd prefer to spend a few bucks and brace it up rather than falling through the floor while running..probably exaggerating, but better safe than sorry!

Long story short, I'm 6'2" and I'm not able to stand up on the treadmill in my basement without having to walk/run between two joists which are only 14in or so apart, not any fun in my book (I'd probably end up puking all over the floor!!!). When we bought the house about a month ago, the previous homeowner's had their treadmill where we intend on putting ours.

anyhow, the joists have a 21 1/2 in space between them and are 9ft long in length. how do you guys suggest I add some bracing? Here are a few photos, to give you folks an idea;

Much appreciated for any help!

andrewjs18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:01 PM   #2
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

I was just going to tell you to sister onto the existing beams.

But considering the rot on some of your floor boards - I don't think it's wise to ignore that. For ideal structural soundness you should rip up the existing floor - replace the rotted and damaged beams - add in new beams because they shouldn't be spaced 22" apart for support of a modern subfloor . . . then lay down new underlayment and subfloor - and in that process you'll strengthen the floor adequately for a treadmil.

And I suggest using Kettlebells for a weight loss and fitness program - they're superb

Old 12-29-2011, 11:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snav View Post
I was just going to tell you to sister onto the existing beams.

But considering the rot on some of your floor boards - I don't think it's wise to ignore that. For ideal structural soundness you should rip up the existing floor - replace the rotted and damaged beams - add in new beams because they shouldn't be spaced 22" apart for support of a modern subfloor . . . then lay down new underlayment and subfloor - and in that process you'll strengthen the floor adequately for a treadmil.

And I suggest using Kettlebells for a weight loss and fitness program - they're superb
I intend on redoing the entire flooring later in 2012 after I get a perimeter french drain installed in the basement, that's going to set me back quite a bit, so the flooring will have to wait a while.

anyhow, as a temporary reinforcement, what do you suggest? cutting some 2X4's to size to nail in between the braces every few feet?
andrewjs18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

As it looks like you are going to throw caution to the wind for now.... Is it possible to install 3/4", or heavier, plywood between the 2 joists where the treadmill will go, holding it against the old flooring with two, 2x4's along the beams? Glue and screw the old flooring to the plywood. I would then, if it's temp and not intrusive, put 4x4 posts under the beams, to the floor, in the center of the plywood/2x4's. Either that, or build a platform that spans the old flooring and set the treadmill on it.Whatever you do, if you don't repair it properly as suggested above, it is a bit of a gamble. We can not see from here how bad/good the wood really is.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:21 AM   #5
Military Mom of 4

Yeah - a plywood platform on the floor above would be ideal - it would disperse the load evenly and be removable.

Without fixing the problems you do have first I won't suggest affixing anthing to the underside of the floor lest it just weaken the rotting wood, there.

I completely understand having to wait - improvement done right takes times and money and not everyone has it when they need it.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #6

Is the flloor below grade?
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:55 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

I don't see "rotting wood"- I do see someone has recently scraped the joist side with something (hammer-claw)- less than 1/4" deep? Measure the joists- 1-3/4" by 8-1/4" or 2x10's? Appear to be "old growth" very strong. The car-decking appears to be "clear" or "tight-knot" boards with tongue and groove edges, even stronger....
How thick are the boards? Check at a floor register- upstairs, or under the back door above- from the basement.

Gary
Old 12-31-2011, 04:28 AM   #8
Retired carpenter

Rewards Points: 250

I agree with Gary. A big guy jumping at a rhythm on a wooden floor is going to shake the whole house badly, no matter how well it's framed.

Last edited by abracaboom; 12-31-2011 at 07:00 AM.
abracaboom is offline   Reply With Quote