Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2007, 03:43 PM   #1

Share |

Want to remodel shack - windows, doors and roof

Hi, new to this forum, hoping to find a starting point to remodel my shack. I know you probably can't answer all my questions in one post, but if you could point me to some helpful websites, give me some helpful tips that would be great. I can work on cars, but when it comes to houses I have no clue...

Will try to upload pic later of shack, but it is basically a 2 room cinder-block shack, rooms about maybe 8*10 and 10*12.

Needs:

1. New windows (5)
2. New door

But the wood framing around the door and windows (5) is beginning to rot so I would like to know how to go about replacing all of this, door, window and framing. Would love to keep the awning type window on there if possible.

Also needs:

1. Roof?? Not sure if needs complete replacement. Doesnt leak at all, but some of the wood is definitely rotting and it is pretty musty/moldy (the wood is) after not been using for many many years. Would love to just tear off the roof and put on a tin roof or something, probably beyond my skill level as a beginner, but any good places to start?

Also would like to put a wood burning stove in there, any good places to start for this?

Thats about it, I just want it to the point where I can crash there for a few nights. Any rough (rough being the key word) guess how much this could run - I'd like to do it pretty cheap if possible, relatively speaking. Know this is a lot but any little bit of direction helps, I've tried looking some stuff up on the internet but there are a lot of junk sites out there - Thanks yall

snosurfa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:11 PM   #2

Well i have no experience with cinder block houses but i would assume there is a treated 2by framing out the windows and door the would need to be replaced and then the door and windows attached to the treated wood. try doing some searches on this site or google and see what you come up with. depending on the amount of rot it shouldn't be that hard once you learn the proper way. Metal roof isn't hard at all. Just cutting sheet metal and screwing it down, again if you do a search you will find some detailed instructions. Make sure that the trusses or sheating currently on there aren't rotten. Do alot of reading before hand and you will be in good shape, the internet and book stores like barnes and noble have a ton of info for people. good luck

ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
Custom Cabinet Maker

Normally there are wooden blocks laid into the block walls where they attached window frame to. However if not, Just make new frames and use Tapcons and some pl500 to attach em. Then you can set your windows into those openings.Door same as a window.
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote