Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2012, 08:27 AM   #1

Share |

want lowest profile load-bearing support beam (removing wall)

I want to remove a 16' load bearing wall between my living room and family room to make it one big great-room, and will need to have a 16' load-bearing beam installed, but I want it to look as low-profile as possible. The living room and family room are both against an outside wall of our brick 2 story house (the living rm, family rm are on the main level, with bedrooms above).

Here are my questions.

1) What type of beam will look the most inconspicuous (ie "least thick") for this and still do the job, and about how many inches will it show out of the ceiling when the project is complete?

2) Can the beam be tied into the outside wall of the house so I don't have to use any internal support against that wall (such as a jackpost or pillar). Since I want that wall to be flush when the project is done?

3) One contractor that came to check it out had mentioned using "joist Hangars" to make the beam look the least conspicuous...Is this a feasable option? and how much of a difference will it make in obvious inches compared to a standard beam when the project is complete?

Thanks in advance

rpk7309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #2

The size of the beam is not based on the length it is also and mostly based on the total width of the 2 rooms you are combining. The shallowest beam will be made from steel.

Although you have to do the math I would bet you will have at least 12 inches if not 18 inches of beam to deal with some of which might be able to be hidden between the floors.

You need a post somehow on the ends. All depends what is in the outside walls and if there is thickness you can hide it in. Mostly will come down to how much money you want to spend

bill01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
DIY or die !

^ couldn't have said it better myself
lewisthepilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote