Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2012, 03:29 AM   #1

Share |

Walls and guttering

The previous owner started work on a large shed in my back garden. They left no room either sides for me the get round to either put up guttering or put shiplap cladding on the exterior - any advice on what type of waterproof material I can use internally. How can I put up guttering without going onto my neighbour property - my neighbour have made it clear that I cannot go into their property

Walls and guttering-image-1744408048.jpg
miss arsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #2

Walls and guttering

i would move the shed.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #3

Walls and guttering

Looks like both shed were built with total disreguard to set back laws.

I agree it has to be moved away from that fence.

Might want to also pick up a book on shed building and look over what they have built so far.
I'm seeing what looks like some major issues with the way they built it.
(keeping in mind we only can see that one hazy picture)

Last edited by joecaption; 10-14-2012 at 09:03 AM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
retired union carpenter

Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

Walls and guttering

hi miss, it's obvious the previous owner did you no favors, in the placement of the shed. nor your neighbors sympathetic to your situation to finish it in the manner you'd like. it's not worth getting into a pi$$ing contest/feud, with neighbor! that may be why it wasn't finished before? by two sides, I assume you mean near their outbuilding and the trampoline? that being said, if you want to finish your shed there? it can be done, though not in traditional way. first, you'll need some help. I've had to build 27 floor of fireproof 1" core board gypsum shafts around an operating elevator, and or around functioning industrial machines all without shutting machines or elevators down! you just have to figure out how to work from inside your box. you simply need to use tools usable in tight spaces. a 90 degree angled drill ( shallow profile) will allow you to fasten your outside material with as little as 6" of space. if you want some type of lap siding? you just start from the bottom as usual, and work from the inside, reaching out through between studs. it's time consuming, but doable. if you want some type of 4x8 sheeting? it's doable with help, just measure your studs and pre start screws, pre glued studs, and pass everything down from the top up through rafters and down along wall. one can reach 16-24" from either side to sink screws the studs at 32" if needed? glue good and use blind clips, like we use for pre papered drywall. fasten clips to inside of sheathing, slip into place on stud clips, pull sheething in tight and let glue dry. you can install soffits from inside, fascia and gutters from the roof just leaning out between rafters. you may have to finish roofing sheething and shingles from a ladder or scaffolding? but, please don't assume it can't be done just the way you want it!

of course, if you want to move the shed away 2' each way, finish it and wench it back? you can do that also

good luck
good luck
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:21 PM   #5

Walls and guttering

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe
hi miss, it's obvious the previous owner did you no favors, in the placement of the shed. nor your neighbors sympathetic to your situation to finish it in the manner you'd like. it's not worth getting into a pi$$ing contest/feud, with neighbor! that may be why it wasn't finished before? by two sides, I assume you mean near their outbuilding and the trampoline? that being said, if you want to finish your shed there? it can be done, though not in traditional way. first, you'll need some help. I've had to build 27 floor of fireproof 1" core board gypsum shafts around an operating elevator, and or around functioning industrial machines all without shutting machines or elevators down! you just have to figure out how to work from inside your box. you simply need to use tools usable in tight spaces. a 90 degree angled drill ( shallow profile) will allow you to fasten your outside material with as little as 6" of space. if you want some type of lap siding? you just start from the bottom as usual, and work from the inside, reaching out through between studs. it's time consuming, but doable. if you want some type of 4x8 sheeting? it's doable with help, just measure your studs and pre start screws, pre glued studs, and pass everything down from the top up through rafters and down along wall. one can reach 16-24" from either side to sink screws the studs at 32" if needed? glue good and use blind clips, like we use for pre papered drywall. fasten clips to inside of sheathing, slip into place on stud clips, pull sheething in tight and let glue dry. you can install soffits from inside, fascia and gutters from the roof just leaning out between rafters. you may have to finish roofing sheething and shingles from a ladder or scaffolding? but, please don't assume it can't be done just the way you want it!

of course, if you want to move the shed away 2' each way, finish it and wench it back? you can do that also

good luck
good luck
Thank you for your kindness
miss arsenal is offline   Reply With Quote