Walling Off Basement Window - Condensation Issue - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Walling off Basement Window - Condensation Issue

Hi everyone! Id like to get your opinions on whether walling off a basement window will cause a condensation issue. Im planning a basement remodel and the wall wed like our TV, etc. to go on has a window (non-egress) that will visually interfere with the space. I know I may sound crazy, but Im really detail oriented and just envisioning the space bothers me let alone when its actually done. I was thinking of just walling in the window to eliminate it, but my architect indicated there may be a condensation issue. Id like you opinions on whether you think this may be true and what are some work-a-rounds for it.

Because of an interior perimeter drainage system, the walls will be built at least 6 inches away from the concrete. In addition, there is a large space for the sump pit directly next to the window (upper right corner). Im thinking that these two spaces would be enough to compensate for any condensation issue and allow proper air flow.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

BSponz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,514

Walling off Basement Window - Condensation Issue

You need to close it off on both sides. That means removing the window and closing up the hole on the outside as well as you new wall on the inside.

Advertisement