DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Wall Tiling

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ranapratab 
#1 ·
Hello: I am done with floor tiling in the bathroom and will be starting with wall tiling soon.

My question is I have measured the height and width of the walls and nearly 1/2 tile will go in as a cut tile apart from the full tiles. My question is where do I start with the whole tile from? the top of the wall or the bottom or the bathtub? I am tiling right upto the ceiling with 13x13 ceramic tiles.

Thank you.

#2 ·
Really a matter of preference and/or convenience.

You could start full tiles at the floor or the ceiling and work down.

You could start full tiles at the bathtub and give you a cut tile on the ceiling and floor.

Or you could divide the walls in half (both length and height), and start your layout in the middle, giving you an even cut tile at the top and bottom.

#3 ·
I agree with CookeCarpentry, about a matter of preference, or convenience. Whatever method you choose, be sure to lay out the entire wall, as you don't want to end up with a skinny 1/2" cut anywhere. Also, be sure to find the lowest point of the floor, and start the wall tile there. After setting the first tile, draw a level line all the way around the room at the top of the tile(a laser really helps here). Don't follow the floor, as it may have humps and sags in it, and any discrepancies in the first course will become exaggerated as the you tile up the wall. If your grout lines begin to widen or narrow, something is out of whack, but that is an easy fix. You can start over by placing a chair rail(on a level line), and continuing up the wall. Sometimes, if your floor is very uneven, it helps to start your tile by setting a chair rail first and tile up and down from that point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.