Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #1

Share |

Wall Studs - Plumb but not Level?

Hi all,

After installing some exterior walls for my basement framing project, I noticed all the studs are plumb (front to back) but slightly off left to right. The bubble on my level is slightly to the side when I hold the level on the side of the studs. It's not major, just a little bit.

How big of deal is this?

bergsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
Roofmaster

Not that big, but why cant you just fix it? Didnt you build the wall independently and stand it up? I guess not. Just double the studs every 8 feet so you have more meat to screw to at sheet end and run drywall horizontal, Ceiling first, top sheep with a ledger 4 foot down, then the bottom piece. Mark where your studs are top and bottom and snap lines, or very lightly scribe with pencil and straightedge.

I am a stickler for level and plumb though, problems snowball if not.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:00 PM   #3

no problem at all, run drywall horizontal and where rooms are more then 12' use 'drywall backer boards'
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #4

define "a little". the more lean you have, the less effective (structurally) the studs are, and you lose it exponentially. are we talking 1/8" in 8', or 1"? btw: i always check a level from both sides, then switch ends, for plumb and level, before i buy one. it seems one in 5 is actually "on" in all permutations.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jklingel For This Useful Post:
jagans (12-22-2012)
Old 12-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
Roofmaster

Yeah, one mans " a little " is another mans " a lot "

Old 12-23-2012, 12:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Yeah, one mans " a little " is another mans " a lot "
Roger that. And, since I get a little, somebody must be real lucky.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #7
AHH, SPANS!!!

When framing a 22' light gauge metal wall 15 years ago I read the plumb bob wrong and from top to bottom we were 2" out of plumb (sideways ) with all the studs. This was not a structural wall but the drywallers were very unhappy and wanting to swing hammers and screwguns at people(me) because they had to make every drywall seam crooked to follow the crooked studs. This wall was a fill in wall kind of like a basement wall that is not structural so out of plumb is doable just not going to make other people happy, lol.

Last edited by hand drive; 12-23-2012 at 10:41 AM.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #8
retired union carpenter

Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

hi bergsj, "i always check a level from both sides, then switch ends, for plumb and level, before i buy one. it seems one in 5 is actually "on" in all permutations" I never trust a level I haven't checked myself, with a plumb bob,water level or laser. maybe your wall, is out of square a bit? which will throw studs out of plumb. a few things I've learned in my years of construction #1- never assume anything is square! before you check it. #2- gravity, pulls straight down, if you tie a string to a rock, and let it hang, the string will bring itself to plumb.#3- water will run level when unobstructed, put water in a glass, no matter how you hold the glass the water will go to level if no bubbles.

I meant to post on your thread for framing basement walls help, but life and Christmas got in the way. wanted to suggest you make sure your basement is square, before you began your walls. so can line the soffit up square. sounds a bit late now? though walls can be moved if needed? depending on your choice of ceilings in the basement? depends on how square the soffit is to walls? drywall ceilings can hide a lot. drop ceilings with any kind of pattern? not so much. the smaller the pattern, the more need for squareness! if need any help with that? let me know!

other than that, good luck with your basement remodel

Larry/coupe
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to coupe For This Useful Post:
rjniles (12-23-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
Roofmaster

I dont know how anybody cane "read" a plumb bob wrong. When you hang a plumb bob a quarter inch or so from the floor, assuming you are using a real brass plumb bob, it has to be dead plumb in both planes when it settles. How in hell can your READ a plumb bob wrong ?????

Old 12-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #10
AHH, SPANS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
I dont know how anybody cane "read" a plumb bob wrong. When you hang a plumb bob a quarter inch or so from the floor, assuming you are using a real brass plumb bob, it has to be dead plumb in both planes when it settles. How in hell can your READ a plumb bob wrong ?????

miscommunication is how. two people working together who cannot communicate well
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:11 AM   #11
Roofmaster

Dont feel bad, Read my post in plumbing re silt in fixtures. I have one of those too.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:20 PM   #12
retired union carpenter

Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan's View Post
I don't know how anybody cane "read" a plumb bob wrong. When you hang a plumb bob a quarter inch or so from the floor, assuming you are using a real brass plumb bob, it has to be dead plumb in both planes when it settles. How in hell can your READ a plumb bob wrong ?????
it's quite easy, it's not possible to use a plumb bob as a set point plumbing studs. as the plumb bob is in the way at the bottom. therefore you offset at the top as a reference point. say, the top guy says stud is 1" to the left of line, he's facing north? the bottom guy is facing south to not be under the scaffold, he marks 1" to his left= 2" off, nobody's fault just happens.

whereas if top guy had said 1"toward the window/door/ sewer pipe? problem solved

coupe is offline   Reply With Quote