Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

wall sheathing question

Hi guys,

I have some quick questions. When you have your 8" thick foundation wall should you install your sill plate recessed in a bit to account for sheathing and an space for the sheathing to rest on? Or should the sill plate be flush with the outside of the foundation wall? Same with rigid foam do you set the sill back to account for the rigid foam as well?

markharmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:23 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,016

wall sheathing question

sill plate should be about a 1/4" past the outside edge of the foundation. you do not want your wood sheathing against the concrete as it may wick water. at least that's how it's done in my area

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:16 AM   #3
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,052

wall sheathing question

gb is right, the reason is to create a drip edge of sorts. .when water runs down the wall it runs down past the joint between the plate and the foundation so it bypasses that joint and doesnt run into the house
woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #4

wall sheathing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
sill plate should be about a 1/4" past the outside edge of the foundation. you do not want your wood sheathing against the concrete as it may wick water. at least that's how it's done in my area
1/4" past or in from the outside edge? What about if you have rigid foam? Does that start from the sill and go up and just overhang at the bottom?
Old 05-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

wall sheathing question

Generally you place the sole plate flush with the edge. In most cases there will be a channel or rabbet where the leveling strip for the foundation wall was placed. Your sole plate sits at the edge of the rabbet and on top of a sil gasket of course. Your subsequent layers of sheathing and siding will step the building envelope away from the concrete wall. Do not let the sheathing touch the concrete. It only covers the sole plate. Your final siding should be stepped slightly lower than the previous layer. A 1/4" to 1" lower for each layer depending on the materials and method used.

If your really worried about it or if you get heavy rains, place a small drip flashing between the siding and the previous layer to kick out any water running down.
MJ Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #6

wall sheathing question

the sill plate (which is attached to the top of the foundation with anchor bolts) overhangs the exterior side of the foundation 1/4". you do not want your wood sheathing in contact with the foundation

The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (05-05-2013)
Old 05-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #7

wall sheathing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
the sill plate (which is attached to the top of the foundation with anchor bolts) overhangs the exterior side of the foundation 1/4". you do not want your wood sheathing in contact with the foundation
MJ says keep it flush and you say to overhang it 1/4"?
Old 05-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #8

wall sheathing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Force View Post
Generally you place the sole plate flush with the edge. In most cases there will be a channel or rabbet where the leveling strip for the foundation wall was placed. Your sole plate sits at the edge of the rabbet and on top of a sil gasket of course. Your subsequent layers of sheathing and siding will step the building envelope away from the concrete wall. Do not let the sheathing touch the concrete. It only covers the sole plate. Your final siding should be stepped slightly lower than the previous layer. A 1/4" to 1" lower for each layer depending on the materials and method used.

If your really worried about it or if you get heavy rains, place a small drip flashing between the siding and the previous layer to kick out any water running down.
How come GB is saying to extend it over 1/4" What do you mean by will step the building envelope? I guess my whole thing is when you leave the sill plate flush with the edge of the foundation wall and and sheathing, wrap, rigid foam and siding and you look up from under all of this what covers it all? Its not going to down to below grade or anything where you back fill it obviously.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

wall sheathing question

What kind of siding are you using?
jsbuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #10

wall sheathing question

I'm saying this is how it is done in my area. we overhang the sill plate a 1/4" so that the wood sheathing is not in direct contact with the concrete at grade level, the sheathing can wick water which will lead to rot in time (unless you use preservative treated wood, so why have that expense?). overhanging the sill plate leaves a void between the face of the foundation and the back of the sheathing, make sense?

Old 05-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #11

wall sheathing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbuilders View Post
What kind of siding are you using?
For example vinyl but what if I choose fiber cement or even brick. I mean if your overhang the sill plate past the foundation wall there is going to be a gap underneath am I right? What is going to cover that?
Old 05-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #12

wall sheathing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by markharmon View Post

For example vinyl but what if I choose fiber cement or even brick. I mean if your overhang the sill plate past the foundation wall there is going to be a gap underneath am I right? What is going to cover that?
Of your really worried about it bend some PVC coated aluminum coil stock (color matched to your siding).
Old 05-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #13

wall sheathing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbuilders View Post

If you're really worried about it bend some PVC coated aluminum coil stock (color matched to your siding).

Sorry I'm on my phone
Old 05-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 150

wall sheathing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins
This way is correct also.

In my area the bottom plate is flush with the concrete. I just looked at the plate on my home and its done this way also. 25 yrs ago. Ive always done it like this. Each builder may make allowances for the type of siding used. The important thing is that the sheathing does not come in contact with the concrete.
MJ Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #15

wall sheathing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Force View Post
This way is correct also.

In my area the bottom plate is flush with the concrete. I just looked at the plate on my home and its done this way also. 25 yrs ago. Ive always done it like this. Each builder may make allowances for the type of siding used. The important thing is that the sheathing does not come in contact with the concrete.
so you bring t sheathing down so its level and flush with the bottom outside edge of the sill? What about siding and if you want rigid foam on the outside? Does that come down to the same level as the sheathing?