Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2008, 10:56 PM   #1
Structural Steel Detailer

Share |

Wall Panel Over Sheetrock in Garage

The wall between my attached garage and house is sheetrocked on the garage side. I believe this is a code for a firewall. This sheetrock is getting banged up and I would like to put some wall panels over the sheetrock that are a little more durable. They are wall panels that can be glued to the wall. I would assume the panel and especially the adhesive would be flameable. Would this be allowed with the code?

Thank you in advance for any insight on this.

kypper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:57 AM   #2

Wall Panel Over Sheetrock in Garage

Heck of a good question. You're right that your garage is sheetrocked as a pseudo-firewall (nonrated assembly) to slow the passage of fire from the garage to the house, or the structural members that support it.

Assuming you're in a single family residence, right? If not, specifically describe the building you live in (duplex, townhome, apartment, etc).

Assuming single family house, there is not a code requirement for noncombustible construction materials in the garage. You can use wood paneling and adhesive to cover the sheetrock. The sheetrock has to be left in place though.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote