Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2008, 05:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wall over front door corner rolling in?

The sheetrock above my front door is cracked. In addition the the mitered top trim above the door is being pushed away from the top where it met the wall. The cracked sheetrock as been pushed out 1/4" to 1/2 from the plane of the wall if you hold the level against the wall. Anybody got an idea of the cause or the solution? Would appreciate any advice or help.

mact60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

How old is the house?

By your description, the first thing that comes to mind is (sorry to say this) the wall seems like it is dropping/buckling. In other words, it sounds structural.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:26 PM   #3

The house is 10 years old in north metro Atlanta and was built by Pulte homes I bought it 2 1/2 years ago. I have a pretty good knowledge of construction and a lot of handyman experience. I'm assuming the first step is to cut the sheetrock back on either side of the crack to see what might be causing it, would you agree?
Old 04-20-2008, 02:35 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact60 View Post
The house is 10 years old in north metro Atlanta and was built by Pulte homes I bought it 2 1/2 years ago. I have a pretty good knowledge of construction and a lot of handyman experience. I'm assuming the first step is to cut the sheetrock back on either side of the crack to see what might be causing it, would you agree?
Yes.

Also get a level and a tape measure prior to the phase of opening up the wall, and start checking measurements: Alignment, sagging, plumb, level, square, etc....of the wall. Exterior and interior.

Area could also be missing a header, improperly-dimensioned header, or other failed framing....
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:14 PM   #5

It is definately a structural issue.

Cracks at doors aren't uncommon, but I'm surprised to hear that the rock is moved out past the plane of the wall. My guess is that the header might be twisting for some reason, and they might have not adequately nailed the header to the kingstud. Or perhaps there's a healthy gap between the header and the trimmer studs. That would be the best case.

Worst case is nasty settlement of the framing and possibly the foundation.

Your first call should be to Pulte. They warrant their homes for 10 years...I don't know if that is the case if you're not the original owner. After two years, they should make it right either way!

I have inspected literally hundreds of Pulte homes, and they certainly don't hire framers of subcontractors based on talent...They're price-driven. They have to be in order to churn out as many homes as they do. The quality of the finished product depends entirely on the superintendent that was in charge of your house (and the inspector of course ). I will say that serious framing deficiencies were not the norm in their homes, because they build so many of the same house in the same neighborhood, so they have the chance to get things right due to repetition.

Remove the rock in the proximity of the crack and see if anything jumps out at you as obviously wrong.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:31 PM   #6

Thanks guys I'll let you know what I find?
Old 05-07-2008, 04:59 PM   #7

Take a look at these.
http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn143/TerryMock/

Last edited by mact60; 05-07-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #8
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Hi MATC ,
Just as thekctermite has stated ,I ran into something along these lines same thing the header started walking out. I removed the top trim and cut back the drywall, What I found was the jack studs were cut to short and the header was nailed to the top plate and no nails into the king stud. after time the floor load above bowed the top plate which pushed the header down and outward. I had to remove the door and used a jack to bring the header back on plain. I took my sawzall with a metal blade and cut all the nails from the sheating side and the drywall side and replaced the jack studs tight to the header. hope this helps. good luck Bob.

Last edited by buletbob; 05-11-2008 at 06:22 AM.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote