Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Wall layout Help

I am building a shed walls are 16 o.c. and so are the joists. When I stand up the walls how would i fasten the bottom plate to the joists if both the wall studs and joists are 16 o.c., thus, they are lined up?

markharmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Wall layout Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by markharmon View Post
I am building a shed walls are 16 o.c. and so are the joists. When I stand up the walls how would i fasten the bottom plate to the joists if both the wall studs and joists are 16 o.c., thus, they are lined up?
You ask some very basic questions. Nail through the bottom plate at an angle to hit the joists. Or you could offset the studs slightly from the joists.

sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 12

Wall layout Help

yes, if you start your layout from the same end of the building..
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:38 AM   #4

Wall layout Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightten View Post
You ask some very basic questions. Nail through the bottom plate at an angle to hit the joists. Or you could offset the studs slightly from the joists.
How do they do it when they build houses?
Old 07-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #5

Wall layout Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
yes, if you start your layout from the same end of the building..
so what is the correct way to do this?
Old 07-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #6
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 10

Wall layout Help

with 3" or 3 1/2" nails angle the nail down through the plate a little bit at the sides of the studs and it will make it into the joist and also nail down through to the rim band in between the studs. joists do not always line up with the studs so that being an issue while setting walls is not much of a concern while out in the field.
hand drive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 56

Wall layout Help

Quote:
so what is the correct way to do this?
Start your layout from the same corner as you did your floor joists.
For either the joists or wall studs- you hook your tape on the outside corner and mark 16" to the center of the joist or stud. Continue this method the length of the wall/floor.
To anchor the wall- do as previously described.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #8

Wall layout Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand drive View Post
with 3" or 3 1/2" nails angle the nail down through the plate a little bit at the sides of the studs and it will make it into the joist and also nail down through to the rim band in between the studs. joists do not always line up with the studs so that being an issue while setting walls is not much of a concern while out in the field.
Since my walls are set a 16 o.c from one direction what if I ran the joists 16 o.c. but from the opposite direction? That way a wall wouldn't line up with a joist? Also, do you have a good way to cut and build end gable studs?
Old 07-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #9
AHH, SPANS!!!

Wall layout Help

Quote:
Since my walls are set a 16 o.c from one direction what if I ran the joists 16 o.c. but from the opposite direction? That way a wall wouldn't line up with a joist? Also, do you have a good way to cut and build end gable studs?

it is a good idea to have the joists located under the studs IMO.also, if the wall sits back a 1/2" for the outside of the wall sheathing to line up with the rim band then that gives you a 1/2" off set for the joists with plenty of nail area if nailed on an angle on the 1/2" past side. that should be fine. myself and others posted in the other thread a good way to frame your gables...
Old 07-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #10

Wall layout Help

Quote:
it is a good idea to have the joists located under the studs IMO.also, if the wall sits back a 1/2" for the outside of the wall sheathing to line up with the rim band then that gives you a 1/2" off set for the joists with plenty of nail area if nailed on an angle on the 1/2" past side. that should be fine. myself and others posted in the other thread a good way to frame your gables...
Not end gable studs....
Old 07-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #11
AHH, SPANS!!!

Wall layout Help

frame some horizontal 14 1/2" fill in joists in the floor system 16" centers under both gable walls to give the gable walls something to sit on instead of just one rim band across there. or just add blocks inside the rim band or double the rim band up. that way the weight of the wall is not just sitting on the single band and plywood floor. frame the gable wall 16 centers just like the rest with built outside corners. pick a side of the structure and pull your layout for stud placement and continue that placement up through to the gable rafters past the separation at the double wall plates...
Old 07-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 14

Wall layout Help

mark,

you may want to download this link .... http://awc.org/pdf/WCD1-300.pdf

This is the "Details for Conventional Wood Frame Construction" by the American Wood Council.

May help with understanding. Good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
hand drive (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #13

Wall layout Help

Quote:
frame some horizontal 14 1/2" fill in joists in the floor system 16" centers under both gable walls to give the gable walls something to sit on instead of just one rim band across there. or just add blocks inside the rim band or double the rim band up. that way the weight of the wall is not just sitting on the single band and plywood floor. frame the gable wall 16 centers just like the rest with built outside corners. pick a side of the structure and pull your layout for stud placement and continue that placement up through to the gable rafters past the separation at the double wall plates...
And i have to notch out the top of the studs where they meet the rafters, correct?
Old 07-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #14

Wall layout Help

Quote:
Do the end gable studs need to be placed directly above the wall studs from below?
Old 07-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #15
Pro

Wall layout Help

Do you have a rim joist or rim band? Do you have a plywood subfloor on the floor joists before raising the wall?

CarpenterSFO is offline   Reply With Quote