Wall Damage In Bathroom. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wall damage in bathroom.

I am currently renovating my bathroom. When I opened the walls I discovered some water had been getting through the siding cracks.

I intend on replacing the board they had against the exterior wall but I'm unsure what is the best stuff to use now a days. Also, then what? Insulation, vapor barrier and then drywall??

What's the best substance to seal the cracks outside?

Help please. I can send photos.
New to the site.
Attached Thumbnails
Wall damage in bathroom.-image-2681540809.jpg   Wall damage in bathroom.-image-3706588171.jpg   Wall damage in bathroom.-image-879432811.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by MikeRichardd; 05-21-2012 at 08:20 AM.
MikeRichardd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Wall damage in bathroom.

That actually looks like a low pitch roof line??? Probably not the siding leaking, but poor flashing where the roof meets the wall. There could be structural damage there also, make sure it is all fixed, redo the flashing correctly.

The usual thing for the exterior is exterior sheathing, either OSB or plywood, whcih is then covered with felt or tyvek, (tyvek preferred), then your siding. There is now a sheathing that has the housewrap already installed.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Bill For This Useful Post:
MikeRichardd (05-23-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
Stay-at-home GC

Rewards Points: 500

Wall damage in bathroom.

Is that a roof line coming down into a chimney? No cricket above the chimney?

Is that daylight showing along the right side of the brick?

It looks like the masonry may have actually settled and is cracking the rafter at the birdsmouth.

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.

Last edited by CplDevilDog; 05-22-2012 at 07:41 AM.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:41 AM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,474

Wall damage in bathroom.

How about a couple of pictures from the other side of the wall.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:17 AM   #5

Wall damage in bathroom.

Really appreciate the posts! Ummm not sure about the settling of the chimney or cracking. At this time I'm really just hoping I can install a proper wall against the bricks (interior) to prevent or repel any further moisture from coming in.

I'm at home depot and I've been advised to use chip board and wrap it in Trypar header wrap. I'll then attend outside and repair any siding which has gaps and seal.

Any thoughts??
Old 05-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #6

Wall damage in bathroom.

I'm Gunna take some outside photos.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,474

Wall damage in bathroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRichardd View Post
I'm Gunna take some outside photos.
That's a good thing because you will "never" fix the source of the problem from the inside.

I don't care what the HD associate has to say.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 05-22-2012 at 08:57 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (05-22-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #8

Wall damage in bathroom.

Can I not just fix as much as possible...replace the board that touches the outside wall then cock outside any and all cracks?

Wall damage in bathroom.-image-2792412295.jpg

I replaced the rotten board.
Attached Thumbnails
Wall damage in bathroom.-image-994179205.jpg  
Old 05-23-2012, 05:17 AM   #9

Wall damage in bathroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill
That actually looks like a low pitch roof line??? Probably not the siding leaking, but poor flashing where the roof meets the wall. There could be structural damage there also, make sure it is all fixed, redo the flashing correctly.

The usual thing for the exterior is exterior sheathing, either OSB or plywood, whcih is then covered with felt or tyvek, (tyvek preferred), then your siding. There is now a sheathing that has the housewrap already installed.

Thx bill....there's a gap from the siding to the brick which is causing water to come in. Can I simply get some "flashing" and attach or extend the length to meet the brick?

Then silicone?

Wall damage in bathroom.-image-593573218.jpg

This is from inside...siding is on the left.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 524

Wall damage in bathroom.

A couple of observations here...

We realy need to see the outside area of this section of roof/wall. I suspect that a lot of water is getting trapped in a corner during a rain storm or if you are in a cold climate from ice daming. The fact that so much of the Homosote sheathing is gone suggests that there has been water wicking up into there for quite a while.

The repair you did on the rafter is questionable at best. You are depending entirely on the few nails in the plates to support all of the load placed on that rafter. Granted, where it is on the roof may not see too much load but that is a weak joint. The entire rafter should have been replaced or another rafter sistered along side of it, glued and nailed.

If you realy think that running a bead of silicone will waterproof that area along with a piece of flashing, you need to rethink that. With the way the chimney moves in relation to the rest of the structure, you will be up there at least twice a year re-sealing it. This needs to be repaired properly which will include removing the aluminum siding in that area, building a proper "cricket" to divert the water around the chimney, the sheathing replaced and the siding properly flashed and reinstalled. I know I may have come across a bit harsh, but I hate to see someone struggle with an improper repair.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to danpik For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (05-23-2012)
Old 05-23-2012, 10:06 AM   #11

Wall damage in bathroom.

Well I don't think you're coming off strong and I appreciate the advice or I wouldn't participate in an open forum like this. I'll reinforce the wood and repost.

I really don't have the budget or knowledge to do everything you mentioned. I think I'll get some siding and extend the piece which are against the chimney to make a closer seal then silicone.

I'm just trying to do the best I can on a limited budget and time. It pored down here last night and no water came in. The house is fifty years old and the area has stood up that long. I will definitely not be here for fifty years. Lol.

I'll post some more flicks. I appreciate your input.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #12

Wall damage in bathroom.

Wall damage in bathroom.-image-2276747135.jpg

From outside. I took one of the siding pieces off.
Attached Thumbnails
Wall damage in bathroom.-image-3124691875.jpg   Wall damage in bathroom.-image-920380901.jpg  
Old 05-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #13

Wall damage in bathroom.

What do you mean by flashing??
Old 05-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 508

Wall damage in bathroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpik View Post
A couple of observations here...

The repair you did on the rafter is questionable at best. You are depending entirely on the few nails in the plates to support all of the load placed on that rafter. Granted, where it is on the roof may not see too much load but that is a weak joint. The entire rafter should have been replaced or another rafter sistered along side of it, glued and nailed.

That was my thought as well. However, it doesn't even appear that nails were used with the Simpson tie plate. Those look like general-use screws. Simpson requires that you either use nails or structural screws http://strongtie.com/products/connec...-loadrated.asp. General-use screws cannot take the shear force that a nail or SD screw can take.

Mike, that blocking you added under the new piece of rafter does not take the place of a properly-sistered repair (glued and screwed along the entire length of the rafter, as Danpik recommended.

Last edited by Seattle2k; 05-23-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #15
Stay-at-home GC

Rewards Points: 500

Wall damage in bathroom.

Google "Chimney Cricket" (no not Jiminy Cricket) it is a built up area above a chimney that diverts water around the intersection of the chimney with the roof line.

That's a serious mess you got there.

Someone with a lot of Siding and Flashing experience is going to have to step in here.

At the very least you are going to need a cricket to kick out all the water piling into that corner .

Then you're going to need a way to flash that hole between the brick and the and the what....the rest of that hole?

My first guess (probably wrong) is you are going to have to cut a vertical kerf in the chimney brick and tuck flashing in there and it will all have to be tied correctly into the cricket.

The only thing I know about roofing and flashing is "No edges looking up"

Advertisement

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote