DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Wall construction for insulation support

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  jklingel 
#1 ·
Alright, let me try to describe my situation. Currently, I have 2 corners of a particular room where I have similar situations to deal with, so I'll describe one of those corners.

The current construction is that this is on the second floor of a 1.5 story house, and it's under a roof with a 9/12 pitch where the eaves are at the top of the first story... The second story is like a finished attic. From the front of the house towards the back consists of a bedroom with knee attics on both sides, then the stairs, then a second bedroom with knee attics on both sides which end at a 5' wide dormer on each side followed by about 3' of the room beyond the dormers where the side walls are at the house's exterior wall (i.e. no knee wall attic.) This last 3' section is the area in question.

The current construction is that the exterior wall was filled with cellulose insulation, as was the sloped ceiling. The drywall was collapsing and the insulation is nasty, it's in the garbage and gone. This section is walled off from the dormer with the wall ending in line with the side wall forward of the dormer, and the other wall is open forming a cubby that had a pipe across it for use as if it was a closet.

I have gutted the insulated portion of this area including the entire gable end wall because I suspect all of this cellulose of being unhealthy from moisture that has resulted from inadequate ventilation.

The wall seperating the cubby from the dormer is constructed with 2x4 with the 4" (3.5") dimension along the length of the wall, i.e. I have a 1.5" thick wall cavity between 2 sheets of drywall.

My intent is to enclose this area, making it cold space.. So to insulate this properly, I need to put insulation on the exterior side of the wall that has 1.5" of space between sheets of drywall, preferably to R19. I'm thinking I'll just take my kraft-faced fiberglass and put it in one of 2 ways: I could frame a wall on the back side with 24" OC spacing, or could I just staple it onto the existing wall without building any new framing so I don't have the studs conducting heat - it's just all insulation? Or maybe just put up a stud along the top and bottom and attach a rigid foam board to provide additional support and a little more insulation?

See less See more
#3 ·
That would mean this picture is worth 423 words. :laughing:

In this image, I've added a red box showing where I will be adding a wall which will have a recessed book case integrated into it, and I have a red arrow from the insulation pointing to the wall where I am asking about the best way to put it in: the question is basicly whether I need to construct a stud wall to support the insulation or if it would be better to just staple it onto the drywall without a stud wall.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.